Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Gambling and Religon

They don't go bald either.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a believing poker player, I do not find any mention in the Bible against gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if you really cared what the Bible said about gambling, then you wouldn't gamble. Can you name any Christian denomination whose official stance on gambling is that it's OK?

If you really cared what the Bible said, then you would avoid the appearance of evil. You would not cause your brother to stumble by taking his money and/or feeding his gambling habit.

[edit] PS: This is my 777th post -- it must be an endorsement from God. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since the Bible says nothing against gambling, your statement that I would not gamble if I cared what the Bible says is pointless. No, I know of no Christian denomination which endorses gambling, but I do not see where man is the judge of moral right and wrong. I have shared my profession with many people, and today it has much less of an appearance of evil than it did 20 years ago, or even 10. None of your arguments along this line amount to anything.

In regards to your statement about "taking my brothers money", you must be ignorant in the field of economics. All money comes from somewhere, and when you gain money, it was at the expense of someone else. This works in business the same as it does in poker. If you own a small store, you are in competition with other like stores, and your profit is their loss. There is nothing inherently immoral about this. It is the way money, and all economics work.

Your statements come across as harsh, but I dont think you have put much if any thought into them
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a believing poker player, I do not find any mention in the Bible against gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if you really cared what the Bible said about gambling, then you wouldn't gamble. Can you name any Christian denomination whose official stance on gambling is that it's OK?

If you really cared what the Bible said, then you would avoid the appearance of evil. You would not cause your brother to stumble by taking his money and/or feeding his gambling habit.

[edit] PS: This is my 777th post -- it must be an endorsement from God. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since the Bible says nothing against gambling,

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't say a lot about a lot of things, but people infer things by it's general precepts. If you care what the Bible says, you would re-read NotReady's post, and the posts of those threads he linked to, and the links in those. The fact is, the Bible says enough about gambling that every major Christian denomination says it is wrong. Add the two verses I mentioned, and you have your answer. It's wrong, according to the Bible.

Also, I didn't say "taking your brother's money"... I said "causing your brother to stumble by...". That's different. Do you see why? Hint: Gambling is a zero-sum game -- stores, and stocks are not. You can read those other threads and links in them for more information. If you care.

If I seem too harsh, then I need only remind you of how harsh Jesus seemed to those money changers. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I don't care if you gamble... and I'm not trying to stop you -- I just want people to be honest. WWJD, you know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2006, 06:56 AM

As far as your references to Christian denomination's reaction to scripture, since when do denominations determine the truth of Scripture?? you cannot use mans interpretation of scripture to claim something that scripture says.

I have not read Notreadys posts, though I have heard much about them. perhaps I should read some of them, although I dont thing it would change my opinion. (perhaps, but I believe I know what I am talking about here).

By the way, are you a Christian or not? Sorry if this sounds awkward, but it makes a difference in the way I respond to your posts.

Thanks

Steven
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have not read Notreadys posts, though I have heard much about them. perhaps I should read some of them

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was talking about previous threads which I linked in my post below. My position is that gambling is not necessarily sinful and that poker is not necessarily gambling.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:18 PM

poker players prey on weaker opponents. they take advantage of other peoples weakness. how is this morally correct.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:21 PM

How is poker not gambling?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How is poker not gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitions vary. I define gambling as -EV so for a skilled player it isn't gambling. Don't know if Webster agrees with me on this one. It is risk taking, but so is much else that is +EV.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:11 PM

My wife asked our traditional catholic preist if it was wrong for me to play poker. His response was basically to the effect that recreational gambling is ok. Gambling becomes morally wrong if it takes "food off the table".

Stu
Old 01-07-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...prey on weaker opponents...take advantage of other peoples weakness....

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the real world buddy.

Stu