Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Why you guys aren\'t crushing these Microlimit games...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing for about 4 months and to be honest I still have problems figuring out odds and pot odds, especially on the fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best thing to do is to just memorize the pot odds on the most common situations you face. So post flop, you are going to draw one card (usually the odds are close enough to the same drawing to the turn, and drawing to the river that you can treat them the same):

--Flush draw (2suited in your hand, 2 of the suit on the board): about 4-1

--Open ended straight draw: about 5-1 (4.8 to the turn, 4.75 to the river)

--Gutshot straight draw: about 11-1 (actually 10.75-1 to the turn, 10.5 to one to the river)

--Overcards (odds of pairing one of your cards when both are higher than any card on the flop): about 6.5 to one (6.8 turn, 6.6 river)

--drawing to one pair (you have middle or low pair and while it may be good, you'd really like to improve to either two pair or trips): about 8.5-1

--Drawing to a pocket pair (you missed your set on the flop): 22.5-1 and 22 to one.

Anything I left out anybody? Are my numbers right?

The really important thing to remember however, is that improving your hand may not win it for ya. If you can accurately put your opponent on a hand it may be that your actual odds of improving to a winning hand are much worse than just the odds of improving your hand to something better than you already have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not--I've been playing online about 2 months, I've read TOP and the Hellmuth book and I've read postings here, Steve Badger's website, and at recpoker and I've never seen the stats on hands and odds laid out for me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Why you guys aren\'t crushing these Microlimit games...

I should have listened to that advice--a few seconds after reading this post and commenting on how helpful it was I folded a pot that was giving me about 14:1 to call--I had gotten involved with red pocket 2's and watched a 3-5-6 flop with 2 diamonds. I called the 1 bet and watched an Ad hit. I folded to a single bet and watched the 4h hit. The winner showed his two pairs and everyone else mucked (AAAARRGH! no flush and no higher straight!) I need to listen to good advice when I get it.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Bizz-ump

this one should be bumped every week or so
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 PM

Is there any way that these posts (this one, BisonBison's Notes on notes, etc.) can be stickied to the top of the forum? I've seen that in many other forums and think it would be a great idea here too. They're constantly referred to and are as much standard reading as SSH.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way that these posts (this one, BisonBison's Notes on notes, etc.) can be stickied to the top of the forum? I've seen that in many other forums and think it would be a great idea here too. They're constantly referred to and are as much standard reading as SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]
If they'd stick every worthwhile thread, even only the really really good ones, to the top of the forum, that would occupy most of the page.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Funny hand just happened in response to this

Thank you Ed, nice post!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:58 PM

Bump [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Too bad you can't add a thread to favorites without replying. Please advise if this isn't the case and I'm missing something.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:22 PM

This isn't the case. Look at the bottom of any thread, and press the "Toggle Favorite Thread" link.

Voila!

Edit: My bad, "Favortie Thread! (Toggle)" link
Old 11-14-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Re: All newbies...read this....AWESOME POST...

It's almost the end of the year. I still vote it for best thread of the year. It's right up there with the impact that "Super System" had.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: All newbies...read this....AWESOME POST...

This IS post of the year. No contest. This has improved my game like you wouldn't believe.