Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 AM

Default LIMCASH - 88 early in the match

Hey guys - this was one of the first few hands of a match i played vs an unknown. The game had been quiet so far...i fold preflop, he folds preflop, raise, pick up the pot on the flop. Nothing had made it to showdown of the first 3-4 hands and i don't really have any reads. Is there any other way to play this?

Absolute Poker ($10/$20 limit). Hand converted by Check Raised hand converter

Preflop (2 players): Hero is SB with
BTN 2 bets. HERO 3 bets. BTN calls [6:1].

Flop (6 small bets ($60) in pot, 2 players):

HERO bets. BTN 2 bets. HERO calls [10:1].

Turn (5 bets ($100) in pot, 2 players):

HERO checks. BTN bets. HERO calls [7:1].

River (7 bets ($140) in pot, 2 players):

HERO checks. BTN bets. HERO calls [9:1].
Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Re: LIMCASH - 88 early in the match

I dont see any other way too play it.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 AM

I play it the same.

- Jim
Old 04-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Standard. Only thing you could've done differently was c/r flop then lead turn or call down if he 3-bet.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 AM

I think its standard. But there are other lines. Like calling preflop and CR flop and lead.

f the game has been really aggressive there is an argument for a river raise.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 AM

Just food for thought. What about 3betting the flop and continuing to take the lead? Would that be a big mistake since we are probably WA or WB?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just food for thought. What about 3betting the flop and continuing to take the lead? Would that be a big mistake since we are probably WA or WB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh!! Can people stop using the expression WA or WB? In this particular situation we are either way behind, or moderately ahead, or way ahead.

As for the hand, I think its perfect. Just calling preflop is pretty bad for a few reasons. First of all, we have a pretty huge equity advantage, second of all, we want the lead since we are OOP, and third of all, the more we 3-bet preflop, the more we can stop him from open raising with trash. Check raising the flop seems kinda weird, as we put in the last bet preflop.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:22 PM

LOL, sorry to upset you this morning. But, you are correct we may only be moderately ahead where the villain has 6 outs. I dont think he is raising the flop with a hand like QT or some other 6 out combination very often. I would also play the hand the same way Surf did, but Im asking what people think about 3betting the flop.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:09 PM

I was reading it right before class, thought we raised and he 3-bet...given that, I'd say nh.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:16 PM

Ehh maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate but... your effective odds to call down are 2.8:1 (not including when you hit an 8), and I'm not sure if you're good that often. You've already 3-bet pf, and this opponent hasn't shown anything down yet, so how likely is he to raise with a small pp, or A-high on this flop, when you've shown nothing but strength? Against a tricky, or tough player I don't mind this line, but I'm not sure if a fold is bad against an unknown or typical player. However if you want to try and reach a showdown, I think I prefer 3-betting and folding to any other aggression from him. Afterall, it's probably time to try and show a hand down and this line will only cost you one more SB to show down when your behind. If he has 99-QQ, he'll probably slow down anyway, he probably won't cap or raise the turn with anything worse ever, and the action you figure to gain later in the session should outweigh one SB now.
Edit: I really think your line is the most comfortable one to take, and I probably take it a lot of the time as well- but it really doesn't seem to be the best one. If I raise that flop and bet the turn and river I'm pretty sure I want you to call me down and the fact that he never slows down is even scarier, by the river "the pot is too big" for just about anyone to fold (myself included) but I think we often get there by mistake.