Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Bartending...Thoughts?

I am thinking of getting my bartending license. I think its around $300 dollars or something to get certified in a 3 day class. Anyways, has anyone here bartended in the past? I have a few questions.

1) Will my age affect who will hire me? I am almost 20. I think you only have to be 18 to bartend where I live (in Michigan).

2) Hourly wage including tips? I know this one will vary, but lets assume an average college bar.

3) Is this job enjoyable or did you dread going in to work?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Bartending...Thoughts?

Jonny,

get it if you want to, certainly won't hurt. Not necessarily needed to be a bartender though.

Chances are very slim that you will start work as a bartender, you'll more than likely have to be a barback first.

Age should not be a factor.

Hourly wage is less than minimum wage, in most states it's $2.13/hr.

I had fun back when I was a bartender, but you see the highs and lows of society.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM

how long before you move up to bartending after being a barback?

What exactly does a barback do? Stock drinks and print checks?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 PM

Jonny,

depends on the bar, the staff, how many people are ahead of you in line to be bartenders, politics of the bar, etc.

Trying to give you a time line is useless.

A barback typically stocks the bar, runs the dishwasher, gets ice, cleans the floor, all the stuff bartenders don't do. They sometimes get to pour beers, but it's rare that a barback will mix drinks.

It's a mostly thankless job, but is seen as paying your dues.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:54 PM

Default re

You will have a really tough time getting a decent job unless you are a big Abercrombie type guy. Most of the popular and high-end places hire based almost entirely on looks.

There is no such thing as a "bartending license." These courses will teath you how to make drinks and be a good bartender but the certification is useless in helping you to find a job. Again, you will have a lot of trouble finding a job unless you have big [censored] or are a big meathead guy.

I worked as a bartender for about a year in a private club (a club for rich people, not the fun kind). If you really want to work as a bartender, concentrate on golf clubs, non-trendy restaurants, college bars, etc.

Working as a barback can help you get a job but can often hurt your prospects. Barbacks are promoted only rarely because, while there is an unending supply of qualified bartenders, a good barback is much harder to find, especially if you know the place and its system.

PM me if you want more info RE bartending school and the job market.