Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Re: question regarding moving up quick!

I moved up for 100BB to 2/4 lately and lost it all. I still don`t know if it is because i`m not ready for it yet or if it was just bad luck. I DO know 2/4 is a lot more aggresive, but because i like to play agrassive myself too, i liked to give it a try... for now... I`m back at 1/2 now earning my money back, which is a hard job losing 100 BB.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 AM

I'd say move up,
I usually play underrolled to an extent
however, I'm a recreational player so i'm not living off the money i make, I'm playing low stakes (3/6 6max), always playing with rakeback/bonuses to help offset a bad run if i hit one, and i have no issue moving down should i need to.
I just enjoy playing poker a lot more at the 2/4&3/6 level vs 1/2&.5/1
I think a lot of the bankroll advice is for pros and not for me.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 AM

Bankroll has not been an issue for me until maybe 5/10. I have a real job and I could easily afford to redeposit if I went bust. I think I stayed at 1/2 too long (35-40K hands). There wasn't anyhing more to learn there that would be helpful to beat the higher games (there was no 2/4 6max at Party at the time).
So if you are confident enough you need to take a shot at the higher games (2/4 or 3/6) with 200BB or something and if things go wrong you can go back down and rebuild easily with bonuses etc.
Playing at 1/2 for too long is just a waste of time and money if you are serious about the game.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM

I use pt and gametime but I rarely use the HU display. I can afford to lose to lose my current br but I would rather just build from that and not having to worry about putting n money.
I think I am very capable of dealing with big money downswing(300+) aslong as I have proper br.
[ QUOTE ]
A few questions:

1) Do you use pokertracker and pokerace/GT?
2) If you supplement your bankroll with $600 or whatever, can you afford to lose that money if things don't go well?
3) Are you able to deal with $200 - $400 downswings over one session?

If you answered yes to these three questions, I'd say go for it. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM

i am mentally cautious and say work the cash out.

i have 700BB at 2/4 and am taking shots at 3/6, won't move up properly till i have 700BB there. Then i'll play 3/6 and take shots at 5/10 till i have 700BB.

i like to know i can do it. I have recently stomached taking 75BB losses at 2/4, so i think i am ready to tackle 3/6.

patience bro, don't force it since only BBV will listen when you experience your first $400 downswing.

PT and HUD are your friends.

gl,
Pete
Old 04-05-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I am very capable of dealing with big money downswing(300+) aslong as I have proper br.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd better be careful. You can play perfectly and still easily lose 300+. You can certainly expect downswings a lot bigger than 75BB during your poker career.

~w