Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: What can we do to find evidence of god?

[ QUOTE ]
The odds for God fall to almost exactly zero when you find a reasonable path for life genesis (or extraterrestrial life) and an explaination for the singularity.

[/ QUOTE ] I put it around 2%. Any one specific god falls to zero. If you use and an explaination for the singularity, you are setting the bar really high. If the singularity theory is true. There should be no way to tell what happened before it, as it would make no difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Until then it's just like the turtle on a fence post. You really can not imagine that the turtle got there on his own and yet he's there.

[/ QUOTE ] So I cann't image how a turtle got there, so It is reasonable to believe that a very specific All knowing, All powerfull, All good turtle/on a fence creator put him there? If I see a turtle on a 1 ft(the possibilty of us in a very large universe) high fence surely that need some explaination. But if I see a turtle on a 20 mile high fence(a very underexagerated God) that would need some explaination too yes? Why are we able to say one always was and not the other?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:51 PM

"So I cann't image how a turtle got there, so It is reasonable to believe that a very specific All knowing, All powerfull, All good turtle/on a fence creator put him there? "

No, you are not compelled to attribute the turtle's position to God but you can not foreclose the possibility.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"So I cann't image how a turtle got there, so It is reasonable to believe that a very specific All knowing, All powerfull, All good turtle/on a fence creator put him there? "

No, you are not compelled to attribute the turtle's position to God but you can not foreclose the possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]Ok so I'm with you so far, the possibilty is there, now what can we do to test a holy book to see if it is truth or pleasant fiction?.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:09 PM

"...now what can we do to test a holy book to see if it is truth or pleasant fiction?. "

Why bother? What could you prove?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother?

[/ QUOTE ] Are you serious? If there was a god and you were able to find some evidence of a correct religion, I would imagine the benefits would be numerous.
Both in this life and the next.
[ QUOTE ]
What could you prove?

[/ QUOTE ] You could prove that some understandings of god are at least partially wrong. But if you are looking for the big enchilata, Proof of God, I don't think you could get that. Evidence would go along way, even if short of proof.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great arguement. Thor did it. You can't disprove it.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:52 PM

I assumed your intended research was in pursuit of ridicule, not enlightenment.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Practice introspective meditation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain the aspects of this, I'm pretty ignorant in this area and am very interested in knowing more about it.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Practice introspective meditation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain the aspects of this, I'm pretty ignorant in this area and am very interested in knowing more about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert, but there's really not much to it. Start by sitting or lying in a quiet place, and breathe in and out very deeply and very slowly, focusing your full attention on your breathing. It's a matter of focus and relaxation- don't think, just be. A google on "meditation" yeilded alot of results- this one looks like a good place to start.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:03 PM

Are you saying the Universe has been around for an infinite amount or time or is infintly large?? im pretty sure both of this things have been proven to be false