Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Global Warming

Wacki - I envy your patience.

Mencken - thanks for exposing Borodog for what he is - not a libertarian, but a corporatist-fascist stooge.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:50 PM

"What"

I'm sort of tired and now I can see my post was poorly organized (hard for such a small post!).

What I meant was this 2+2 thread is good and covers many sides of the subject. The George Will column is belatedly connected. I was going to start a lead post on it but searched first. Maybe the thread was too dead for me to post the link. I don't know, as I age my netiquette is declining along with everything else (except bills).

I'm even more tired so I'll take a nap [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 04-03-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wacki - I envy your patience.

Mencken - thanks for exposing Borodog for what he is - not a libertarian, but a corporatist-fascist stooge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny, since I've stated before that corporations should not exist, and are a statist intervention in the legal system that promotes risky, dangerous, and negligent actions. Good luck with that.

Good looking avatar, by the way.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For years I have just assumed it is true. This is in part due to my natural sympathies to the left, partly due to my general concern that humanity will destroy the Earth (which when you get down to it is really all that matters to us, survival) and partly due to the fact that I hear of many imminent scientists supporting this idea. I have never looked at the proof or disproof of global warming in any detail.

Where, for both sides of the issue, should I start to look?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you can find very convincing (assuming you can lose your common sense) arguments in many places online for global warming caused by all the evil humans (us).

There is, however, such a thing as common sense for at least some of us.

Get in touch with that part of your brain and then answer this question: If all humans were to suddenly unite behind the SINGLE goal of warming up the whole planet 10 degrees in 10 years, could we succeed...and...if betting were forced to one half of all your assets...which side would you bet on...the united humans or the natural planet?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:22 AM

The period from 1900 to 1950 is the warmest portion of this current ice age cycle, and we're all suprised it's getting warmer?

It's supposed to be warmer right now, in the grand scheme, global warming is a fairy tale, used for purely political purposes. Fear is a good tool for governments, and it always will be.

"Governments are lucky that their people do not think"
Adolf Hitler
Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The solution is more capitalism, i.e. allow the market to internalize the costs of pollution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh... we've been over this a countless times before. Open up a physics book and see how well capitalism helped create chapters. Who is going to invest billions in ITER over 20 years when patents don't last long enough to build a plant. Again I am repeating myself over and over with you. The other capitalism thread we talked in explains why they will never absorb the costs.

For all those worried about economic costs. The cost of 9/11 alone would be more than enough to fund this research. Then think about how this research effects terrorism and national security. As for the cost of producing energy, solar panels are already becoming competitive with coal in the lab and their is much room for improvement. Offshore wind isn't that far away either. If ITER ever gets finished energy will be dirt cheap. All trends say this is a no brainer. It just takes time and patents don't last very long.

ugh... ok this is my last post for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god you are condescending. Very annoying to try to read your posts.