Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Default LIMCASH 2/4 QJ hand I didnt like

This is a hand played from a 2/4 match on PokerRoom. The match has been going for about twenty hands or so. Opponent seems to be raising liberally from the button ~80%, and plays maybe a little too tightly postflop, he also has made a flop continuation bet.

button, hero calls with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (how many 3-bet here?)

flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, button bets, hero calls [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Now I initially thought I wanted to check-raise here, but then I really felt calling and donking the river was best, and then I thought maybe I should just donk this turn. I don't really like the way I played it, give me a line.
Also, who folds or c/r's the flop?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: LIMCASH 2/4 QJ hand I didnt like

I 3-bet pre flop. With your line I am leading on the turn against some opponents, check raising others, with the turn lead being the standard line.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2006, 03:35 PM

TT- is your thinking lead turn-threebet here to try to snap off an A bluff / represent an A yourself?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM

He didn't say lead/3bet the turn.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:02 PM

I would 3bet preflop here and lead as well. I dont think cr this flop is a good idea unless you have been smooth calling pre with A's and CR flops(which i do quite often to mix up my play). NOTE: the viilain must be capable of noticing ur strategy.

Turn- I like a cr here if u think he will bet a worse hand but u would have to fold to a 3bet. I dont think donking the turn is the best play here. He may fold a smaller pocketpair that he would have bet had you checked and you would probably get raised by a hand that is better than yours. CR this turn will slow down an opponent regardless if he has an A or not. I also think c/c turn and bet river is a viable option.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:34 PM

I 3 bet this preflop too, but I'd bet the flop, almost whatever it is (assuming oppo doesn't cap preflop). The main reason is that going into the flop we're probably ahead, and I don't want to give information. Let oppo define his hand by calling/raising.

It would work great in this case, because if oppo just calls the flop, we just continue the turn and oppo doesn't really know anything more. Maybe we have an A, maybe a Q, maybe 77?

If he raises the turn, then I'd call and check-call the river until I'm more confident about how he plays Ax.

If he raises me on the flop. I call and then probably bet the turn too.

green_tea
Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I see that the consensus seems to be to 3-bet this pre-flop. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, I thought here with an opponent who always bet the flop after raising pre-flop that any equity i gave up by not 3-betting was overcome postflop, but I could be wrong here. About the flop, he was sort of weak-tight post-flop and check-raising the flop would've made him fold a lot of 6 out/K-high hands. Anyway, he checked behind on the turn and I bet a blank river and he folded. A few things relatively later in the session lead me to believe this player may have been better than I suspected, but he left after maybe 30 or so more hands.