Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 02:32 AM

Default Re: What can we do to find evidence of god?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt read your post but just going off the title
we cant find evidence you just gotta believe it

[/ QUOTE ]

why? this logic leads to a multitude of contradictions, i can make a million outrageous claims that have no evidence, and each and every one would be just as legitamate as the next, theres no reason to believe any of them without evidence, if one day you read about a religion that you had never heard of before that was drastically different from your world view you wouldn't just believe it without evidence, why should god existing be any different? either theres evidence of his existing/not existing or its a non-sensical question, proof and evidence are two different things

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a valid point - as theists we have to claim there is evidence for our beliefs or we have no answer to the "Why not believe in a purple bunny on the moon?" argument (or it's variations).

[/ QUOTE ]

Or this guy
Old 04-03-2006, 09:45 AM

"At least with life as we know we have discovered a process by which organization was possible."

I'm not convinced. There is no concensus that I know of on life genesis.

"Wow it's increadibly unlikely that we exist, thusly we should believe in something that is infinitely increadibly unlikely? Is that the jist of your arguement? "

Not quite. It's more like finding a turtle on a fence post.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

nice
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Life is so complex that it's self-genesis, even assuming massive self-organization, seems improbable in the extreme, like 10 ^ -80 unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, when looking on a scale of infinity, that number you stated (or any number for that matter) is going to be microscopical.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:18 PM

Pray for a miracle?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:05 PM

"Thing is, when looking on a scale of infinity..."

Nothing is really infinite, is it (sorry Cantor)?. There are 10^81 particles in the observable universe. There are ~10^120 years to go before all black holes evaporate and all protons decay. That's a long time but it's not any guarantee. We're only 10^10 years in. Find life elsewhere and find it significantly unlike earth's and God will be off the table. Until then to totally discount the possibility of devine genesis is folly.

I've read Stuart Kaufman on self-organization and for a time I gave it a lot of credit as the route to life. Now I'm unsure. The odds against are really long.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What can we do to find evidence of god?

[/ QUOTE ]

Practice introspective meditation. The only evidence I can provide for my faith comes from within (or from my soul, if you will grant me the liberty).
Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only evidence I can provide for my faith comes from within (or from my soul, if you will grant me the liberty).

[/ QUOTE ] Of course I will grant you that liberty, and I too can understand how faith can come from within. I just have yet to figure out how a spiritualness becomes bastardized by an orginaized religion, that has little worldly evidence(hersey, prophesy, and some historical accuracy), and zero introspective evidence for.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 AM

So fish you never gave me a number about the likelyhood that a all powerful, all knowing , all being entity can always have been. I would venture that if our existance is 10^-81 He would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 10^-81^-81^-81^-81. I know that sounds ridicuolus, but just think how much more complicated God is than us.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:54 AM

I answered your question below yesterday.

The odds for God fall to almost exactly zero when you find a reasonable path for life genesis (or extraterrestrial life) and an explaination for the singularity. Until then it's just like the turtle on a fence post. You really can not imagine that the turtle got there on his own and yet he's there.