Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Stars 25NL hand

Reads: I've been at this table for about 100 hands. I know my table selection is horrible by me playing four handed with two short stacks, but I was trying to make a continuous 150 hands for the session exchange that's going on.

I'm at a friends house, so I don't have stats, but this guy has been playing fairly tight. I've been fairly loose since no one on the table was really raising anything PF... (save for him and I). He's reraised me about twice before from the SB when I've made standard opening raises in LP with typical LP opening hands. I've folded both times before... one with A5o and QTo. He's been reloading his stack to 25 fairly often, so I'm close to certain he's 2+2.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB ($25.65)</font>
BB ($4.15)
UTG ($9.25)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($33.95)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.25</font>, Hero calls $1.25.

Turn: ($5.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.25.

River: ($17.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $14</font>, Hero calls $14.

Final Pot: $45.75

What I'm most curious about is my turn play. Is this a spot where you take the free card, or do you figure him for a continuation bet on the flop and presume he's giving up on the turn when he checks.

I think I pretty much have to call the turn checkraise due to the strength of my draw even though I'm certain that I'm behind.

I got into my timebank on the river for about 10 seconds before making the call.

What do you put him on?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Stars 25NL hand

K shibby, here's a few things.

1- you can raise a little more preflop. Don't skimp on your pfr cause its 4-handed.

2- I raise this flop. At 4-handed... people are simply not going to have hands. Push draws harder, cause you're not going to be up against the nuts very often. Besides, you have 9 flush outs + 3 to a gutshot + 3 overs. You're in good, if not great shape.

3- If you raise the flop he'll almost certainly check to you on the turn. He did here anyway. Take the free card. When he calls your raise on the flop and checks the turn (or gives up on his "c-bet") he's giving you a chance to draw out on him for a big hand for free.

4- After the C/R on the turn, as played I fold the river. He is saying boldly that he has one pair beaten.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:31 AM

1. I usually vary from between .75 and 1.25 depending on what I think it takes to take it down preflop or if I want to play a hand.

2. I considered raising the flop briefly, but he was representing a big hand so I didn't want to get pushed back at. While I wouldn't have minded being all in on the flop, I'd rather be the one doing the pushing.

Any other criticisms? I really think I played this hand poorly, just looking for more opinions.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1- you can raise a little more preflop. Don't skimp on your pfr cause its 4-handed.

2- I raise this flop. At 4-handed... people are simply not going to have hands. Push draws harder, cause you're not going to be up against the nuts very often. Besides, you have 9 flush outs + 3 to a gutshot + 3 overs. You're in good, if not great shape.

3- If you raise the flop he'll almost certainly check to you on the turn. He did here anyway. Take the free card. When he calls your raise on the flop and checks the turn (or gives up on his "c-bet") he's giving you a chance to draw out on him for a big hand for free.

4- After the C/R on the turn, as played I fold the river. He is saying boldly that he has one pair beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with pretty much all of this.

But, I like betting the turn a good % of the time (but bet it stronger)

I'd like to re-iterate that flop is an automatic raise and river, I fold
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 AM

As played raise the flop. Fold the river.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:46 AM

I don't, personally, like going nuts with a draw when the board is paired like this. My line on a normal board with fd+gutshot is to play pretty fast on the flop, but here I just call the flop and take the free card. As played, the river is a no-brainer fold. I assume he has AQ, 99 or QQ.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First, how does he have 3 overs - the Kings aren't overs to a Queen unless you think that Jacks are overs as well. If villan has the A9 or TT, then the Hero has 6 over cards as a J is just as good as a King in this situation.

I personally think that in this situation, I call flop, check behind on Turn, and fold river
Old 04-03-2006, 09:32 AM

So, pretty much everyone is in agreeance that the river should be a fold. Looking back on the hand now and even at the time, I was pretty sure that he had a Q or nothing. I think if he has KK or AA, there's a very very small chance he's moving in on the river based on how I've watched him play.

I thought he had AK, he had 77.

The ensuing chat: (from memory)

Villain: Wow.
Villain: Nice call.
Me: ty.
Villain: Wow, what did you put me on?
Me: Quads or nothing.
Villain: And you called?!?