Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Dealing in the WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bav, Thats exactly what I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy moly, that's brain dead. It means that those dealers who worked one day or two days made MORE than $82/hr while at a WSOP main event table, while those unfortunates who worked many days made far less.

I don't think I'll quit my real job and run to dealer school to try to deal the WSOP this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how it is done now. The "traditional" structure for a 4 day 10k event (which is no longer relevant to the WSOP) was anyone that dealt 1 day got a half share and anyone that dealt 2 days got a full share. Dealers never had to deal more than 2 days. Now that it is a week long event I have no idea how they divide up the toke pool. The main events have been good for the dealers to help make up for having to put up with high limit players for a few weeks leading up to it.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:15 PM

I'm told they will hold 10% this year 3% fully for the dealers 2% for Floormen 5% for the house
I guess we'll see what happens I've been told other things
that never happened also
Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bav, Thats exactly what I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy moly, that's brain dead. It means that those dealers who worked one day or two days made MORE than $82/hr while at a WSOP main event table, while those unfortunates who worked many days made far less.

I don't think I'll quit my real job and run to dealer school to try to deal the WSOP this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you don't realize Bav is that in some previous years you didnt get to deal the main event and make a share at all because they picked the crews for themain event. rarely did a 1st year WSOP dealer get to deal the main event unless he was juiced in thru somebody. So you could go the whole month dealing to the worts pricks in the poker world barely getting by on the hopes of a main event envelope and get shafted by not dealing it at all. NOW MATTER HOW GOOD OF A DEALER YOU WERE.

Either way you look at it, somebody is making out better than the next guy.

In previous years as a dealer you ALSO had to hope staff didnt steal TOO MUCH of the toke pool from the dealers. It seems that each year the tokes got worse and worse because they could steal more & more.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3% of the prize pool goes to the dealers plus what ever the winners tip they make very good money

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats not exactly true at leats last year. The Dealesr did not get 3% of the prize pool, because 1/3 of the tokes (including the 3% witheld went to the Floor/Management). I understand that there are some changes coming this year that may alter this equation.

As far as making a lot of money, it depends on some variables, remember WSOP dealers are also dealing the cash sidegames. So depending on what shift you get, and even within a shift what place in the rotation you get your results will vary.

In addition some of the things I have heard may be happening this year would definately have a negative impact on dealers pay (I am not inclined to discuss these specifically because although I have a reliable source I can not confirm what I have heard - but dealers should be aware that there may be changes coming)

[/ QUOTE ]

such as a straight hourly rate for dealers?!?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3% of the prize pool goes to the dealers plus what ever the winners tip they make very good money

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats not exactly true at leats last year. The Dealesr did not get 3% of the prize pool, because 1/3 of the tokes (including the 3% witheld went to the Floor/Management). I understand that there are some changes coming this year that may alter this equation.

As far as making a lot of money, it depends on some variables, remember WSOP dealers are also dealing the cash sidegames. So depending on what shift you get, and even within a shift what place in the rotation you get your results will vary.

In addition some of the things I have heard may be happening this year would definately have a negative impact on dealers pay (I am not inclined to discuss these specifically because although I have a reliable source I can not confirm what I have heard - but dealers should be aware that there may be changes coming)

[/ QUOTE ]

such as a straight hourly rate for dealers?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to discuss these rumors until I have some confirmation. I will say this; I had been hearing around town about this straight hourly rate for dealers, and I asked my source about this and he tells me it isn't true.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:44 AM

What is the proper channel to go through to deal the WSOP?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Go to the Rio on Tuesday. Auditions start at 10am. John Kane is the guy who is in charge. Get there early and prepare to wait. Know pot limit and lowball....just going by what I've heard.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:49 AM

This is out of an article the ran a while ago about a guy who dealt in the WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
But while the championship players were raking in money - with or without phony chips - the dealers weren't faring so well.

"Dealing the World Series wasn't about the money, it was about the experience," Kellum said.

He takes a frame down from the wall to show a check encased in glass. The amount reads $24.94, his pay for 11 hours of dealing at a championship table.

Kellum said 2 percent of the final prize pool goes to the dealers. Thirty percent of that 2 percent was split between 20 floor people. The rest was split by 360 dealers.

"We didn't make any money," Kellum said. Many dealers pay for their own expenses, and Vegas is an expensive place, he added.

As a rule, players usually tip their dealers. But the rumor that dealers make major money got around, and Kellum said none of the championship players left tips.

Kellum said a player, Johnny Fan, told players at Kellum's table, "If you tip him, you're crazy."

"And he was a dealer right before that," Kellum said, noting that Fan dealt cards just six months earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like if you want to make a pile of $$'s this is not the way to do it. If you want the experience and the shot of being on TV, then go for it!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the proper channel to go through to deal the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the Rio Poker Room and ask. They will tell you how to arrange an audition.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Bav - I misread. Whether your calcs are correct or not I can't say...but I'm no longer saying that they are absolutely incorrect.

fishwhenican - this was pretty much the impression that I got in my time there just talking with some of the dealers. Now maybe they were all pulling a con on me. They mostly said that they were making SOME money but they were working really hard with few breaks and they were definitely not getting rich (especially after travel expenses to get there).

The Bellagio had a few dealers I believe who picked up work over there during the WSOP because the money was so good. These were GOOD dealers (as opposed to the WSOP dealers who, by and large, were not very good) and they generally said that working at the WSOP instead of a room like the Bellagio would be really dumb financially.

I talked with a couple of the dealers in Tunica during their WSOP-C event in August and they said the money was horrible (especially after moving and so forth...they would do better than break-even).
They knew it would be better at the Tunica event in January but they had doubts they would come back for August's event next year if there was another one.

Now maybe all these guys were just giving sob-stories to get higher tips from the players. I don't know.

But I do know that if the pay really was pretty good for the WSOP (and the circuit events) then they shouldn't have such a hard time picking up more experienced and better dealers.