Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 12:35 AM

Default What can we do to find evidence of god?

There might be reasonable reasons contained in a holy book, for humans to think that there is an intelligent higher power out there. We don’t always need to have direct empirical evidence to know if something exists or not.
1. Effectiveness of claims made (i.e. prayer) If prayer was shown to work, then there would be some evidence for the existence of a god that claims to hear and answer prayers.
2. Advanced knowledge. Many people use prophesy as an example of advanced knowledge. I don’t believe that the prophesy spoke of is of the type that is needed to qualify as evidence. In order for prophesy to qualify it would need to be exact, not easily deduced, and presented ahead of time. The bible code where they look for hidden messages in the bible, does not qualify as it is only after the fact that one can find these messages. A good example of advanced knowledge would be if the bible spelled out evolution instead of the creation story in genesis. One such example in genesis is that god is said to have limited man’s years to 120. Studies were done as to the amount of times a cell can split, it turns out that 120 years is around the longest humans can live.
3. Consistency. The descriptions of a god should be consistent throughout the entire text.
4. Complete understanding of the human experience. A study was done by Milgram testing just how likely a human will obey an authority. The study clearly showed that humans will follow insane requests from people they consider authorities. The Abraham-Isaac legend in the bible is used in the bible as a test of faith, clearly the test was authority. A god would clearly know what was being tested. See just how much authority, "authority" has over people.

How does your holy book fair agaisnt the slightist bit of reasoning?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: What can we do to find evidence of god?

shoot yourself in the face. that will prove/disprove it to you at least.

other than that, nothing.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:39 AM

Does God exist?

yes
no
maybe

For final answer check out.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:49 PM

I didnt read your post but just going off the title
we cant find evidence you just gotta beleive it
Old 04-02-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 PM

" What can we do to find evidence of god?"

I take an opposite approach. What evidence do we have to explain the two big mysteries (for me) of the universe; the genesis of the singularity 14 billion years ago and the cobbling up of life as we know it from random organic compounds. Find good, solid scientific explainations for these two events and God falls by the wayside.

The more I study evolutionary biology and development the bigger my doubt in my chosen secular path. Life is so complex that it's self-genesis, even assuming massive self-organization, seems improbable in the extreme, like 10 ^ -80 unlikely.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] While I'm think that we can't find proof, I would think that if god exists there can be evidence. Are you saying there is no evidence for the existance of god? If so, why would you believe in something the we can't find any evidence to believe in.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Life is so complex that it's self-genesis, even assuming massive self-organization, seems improbable in the extreme, like 10 ^ -80 unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ] What probability do you asign to the always existingness of the 3 omnigods commonly accepted by some on this board. At least with life as we know we have discovered a process by which organization was possible. Wow it's increadibly unlikely that we exist, thusly we should believe in something that is infinitely increadibly unlikely? Is that the jist of your arguement?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we cant find evidence you just gotta believe it

[/ QUOTE ]

why? this logic leads to a multitude of contradictions, i can make a million outrageous claims that have no evidence, and each and every one would be just as legitamate as the next, theres no reason to believe any of them without evidence, if one day you read about a religion that you had never heard of before that was drastically different from your world view you wouldn't just believe it without evidence, why should god existing be any different? either theres evidence of his existing/not existing or its a non-sensical question, proof and evidence are two different things
Old 04-03-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we cant find evidence you just gotta believe it

[/ QUOTE ]

why? this logic leads to a multitude of contradictions, i can make a million outrageous claims that have no evidence, and each and every one would be just as legitamate as the next, theres no reason to believe any of them without evidence, if one day you read about a religion that you had never heard of before that was drastically different from your world view you wouldn't just believe it without evidence, why should god existing be any different? either theres evidence of his existing/not existing or its a non-sensical question, proof and evidence are two different things

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a valid point - as theists we have to claim there is evidence for our beliefs or we have no answer to the "Why not believe in a purple bunny on the moon?" argument (or it's variations).