Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Well I quit... (Long, LC)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I didn't have time to read all the replies since I'm at work, but have you read this ? Sorry if it's been posted before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, I hadn't seen this. And, here it is:

[ QUOTE ]
Winning at poker is too important because he has so little else going for him. He will almost certainly deny it, but he’s got a great big hole that he hopes poker will fill, making poker much more than a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rest my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. that popped out at me too.

also, I read this yesterday. Impecable timing. Seriously cheezy, but oddly appealing.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Fryguy good luck with whatever you end up doing. Poker really sucks sometimes. One thing to keep in mind is that full ring game quality has decreased remarkably just over the last year that I have been playing LHE. Everyone says "these supertight games are still beatable", but then why is everyone playing 6max? Also I'm sure some of this is due to variance.

If you do come back to poker, I would play some 6max. 1/2 games are so so soft at these limits, and by chasing bonuses can be profitable enough for your needs. Good luck with everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. I am finding the .5/1 10-max tables to be pretty rough. I switched to 6-max and found all the players I was missing. 6-max has killed 10-max IMHO. It's just not as beatable as it was.

2 suggestions for you. #1. Try NLHE. Lots of bad players there.

#2 Try PL Omaha. It's a change. Change is scary but you will be glad you did. Even if you just go donk off a couple of buyins. I am dabbling in it and finding that it's fun and filled with terrible player. Plus having to think in slightly different terms is helping my hold'em game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about trying NL for a long time now. I just feel totally lost when playing/looking at hands. I have absolutely no idea about preflop and betting patterns in NL, and it's not something I really have a desire to learn from the ground up.

I've pretty much made my decision, and I'm going to stick to it, at least try to.

And for those who say "get out from the computer." Computers have been my life since I started programming at age 8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] losing at poker isn't exactly about to force me to change that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2006, 05:55 PM

Just a heads-up...

Ed Miller and David Sklansky are working on a NL book. I hope to make a NL transition once it comes out. I am very sorry to hear about your struggles, Fryguy.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

While our announced dates for Harrington on Hold 'em; Volume III: The Workbook by Dan Harrington amd Bill Robertie and No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice by David Sklansky and Ed Miller are May 15, 2006, it looks like they will probably both come in closer to the end of May.

In addition, we have two new books in the pipeline that should show up later in the year or towards the end of the year. It's a little too early to say what they are so I'll just leave it as part of this teaser.

Since these questions get asked often, I'm going to make this post a sticky and will update it whenever my information changes or if it's appropriate to release new information.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a heads-up...

Ed Miller and David Sklansky are working on a NL book. I hope to make a NL transition once it comes out. I am very sorry to hear about your struggles, Fryguy.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

While our announced dates for Harrington on Hold 'em; Volume III: The Workbook by Dan Harrington amd Bill Robertie and No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice by David Sklansky and Ed Miller are May 15, 2006, it looks like they will probably both come in closer to the end of May.

In addition, we have two new books in the pipeline that should show up later in the year or towards the end of the year. It's a little too early to say what they are so I'll just leave it as part of this teaser.

Since these questions get asked often, I'm going to make this post a sticky and will update it whenever my information changes or if it's appropriate to release new information.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I know this book is coming out, and I'm almost certainly going to at least give it a read, we'll see what happens.

Tonight is going to be dedicated to re-reading sshe and top, after memorizing what I need to memorize for this geography class, and then I'm going to take a very detailed look at my hand selection and play by position.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And for those who say "get out from the computer." Computers have been my life since I started programming at age 8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] losing at poker isn't exactly about to force me to change that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker shouldn't make you change that, life should. You need to take care of your physical self if you want to take care of your poker game.

This may be a bit of an assumption, but from the sounds of your posts it seems like you do nothing else but sit in from of a computer screen. That can only hurt your game.

Take care.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:05 AM

(grunch)

You're just running really badly. I have about 3000+ hands on you from the 1/2 beginner's tables back in January, and I remember enough about you to know that you should be a winning player at 1/2 (beginner's tables or not).

I really think your hand quotas are a bad idea. You're just asking for burnout. I know from experience.

Don't focus on the money as much as improving your play. You can probably make more 8-tabling 1/2 than 4-tabling 2/4, but you're not going to improve as much. In other words, don't feel compelled to play so many tables.

FWIW, I think our skill levels are very similar, and I've started playing 5/10 6max. Perhaps I've run well at lower limits, but I was encouraged to make this jump by a friend who plays 20/40. He's watched me play tons of hands, and he believes I'm currently better than he was when he made the jump to 5/10. And you're just good as I am, if not better. I haven't played you in over two months, but I don't think either one of our games has changed that dramatically.

I believe your game is well-suited for 6max, and you should concentrate on that. Given your small bankroll, I think you should play 1/2 6max for a little while, maybe playing 2-3 tables. I know that sounds boring, and it is, but it should help you find some leaks and increase both your BB/100 and confidence. Not all 70/10/0.8 donks are the same, and picking up on their individual nuances is important in beating games where bad players are harder to find. You miss a lot of little things playing so many tables.

I'm confident you're good enough right now to beat any 6max game up to 3/6. You just need to be willing to sacrifice your hourly win rate for the short-term.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:19 AM

Donkpuncher, thanks for the words of encouragement, not sure if you read the entire post, but to reiterate, I'm going to do the following:

1. Cash out everything except $100
2. Play stars .25/.50
3. Start over from beginning and grind it out to gain confidence crushing low limits
4. As soon as I get rolled for .50/1 6-max I'm going to focus much much more on shorthanded play. I have a small samplesize (24,000) that says I'm good at 2/4 6-max, so I am going to try and get back to this.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:46 AM

Don't quit dude. You will regret it. I have been in your spot many times and I'm better for pulling through the bad times.

Good luck,
Brad
Old 04-02-2006, 03:25 AM

I "quit" for several months even after being ahead (lost terribly for a month). Running bad is really tough on the psyche no matter who you are (especially if you're relying on that income). If you're not having fun -- take a break and come back when it's more appealing.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:47 AM

Dude, I'm sorry to say, but this run wasn't even that bad. I would like to start by recommending a roll of at least 700 BBs if you're going to play 3/6 6max full time. Here is my year so far:

You're just scratching the surface with this stretch. It sounds like your confidence is shot and you just seem frustrated with the game. You NEED to get away from it, at least for a little while. You will not enjoy playing any time within at least the next couple weeks. I say you take a break, get something going socially and come back to the game IF you feel like you can enjoy it again (but wait at least 2 weeks). I mean seriously don't even think about poker or visit 2+2 (unless you're an OOTiot). You will start to feel better and will be able to approach the game again with a clear head. I hope this works out for you.