Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker is your opponents biggest edge?

I play quite a bit at Doyle's room. Until recently PT wouldn't import their hand histories. I wrote my own utility program to convert their HHs into a Party Poker format that PT could read, and used GT+ to give me a HUD overlay.

I was convinced that this gave me an edge over players without PT support. I half considered putting the program out as a donation to the poker community. But I always had 2nd thoughts and along the lines of "I wanna keep a good thing to myself, Bwwaaahahahaha."

A month or so ago (?), the latest PT patch imported Doyle's Room HHs. I thought the games would get tougher as a result of either hoards of new players armed with PT, or the regulars buying a copy. To my surprise, it hasn't worked out like that at all. Either people aren't using it, or it isn't helping their game as much as I thought it would.

I have also played Stars a lot this month. I started playing because of a bonus offer and stuck around because the games were soft compared to Doyle's room - this is my perception over 3k hands. It could be it is skewed because I get to see the junk these donkeys call me down with and you can't see what they have at Doyle's, unless they choose to show you. But for now I would maintain Stars games are softer than Doyle's and I am fairly sure the use of PT or Poker Office is higher at Stars, if for no other reason than the support has been there longer.

So I guess my conclusion is that PT isn't helping the fish out as much as I thought it might. I think I would agree with Isura that most of the use of PT - for me anyway - is in being able to play back hands away from the table rather than tracking your opponents. But I don't usually play more than 3-4 tables. If I played 8, I might have a different view.