Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Why arent we all make poker as a living?

Dec. 10th, 2005---Begin downswing.
Jan. 29th, 2006---End downswing.
Bankroll so trashed I had to drop 2 limits.
March 28th, 2006---still $87 less than Dec. 10th, 2005.

You can't just make $100 per day like it's your choice or a simple decision, and life isn't about money.

Regards,
G.I.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) It's an emotionally jarring job. Have you ever played 50k hands of breakeven poker? Because if you had I don't think you would be making this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. But i think this is probably the biggest factor in the reason i never ever want to play poker for a living. Its ridiculously stressful sometimes. I only play 5/10 - 10/20 6max and the swings make me sick.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) A job that pays 60k US in the states equals like 80-90k playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you get that backwards?

Being self employed opens doors to a WIDE range of options when it comes to saving on taxes, choosing your OWN health insurance. Investing all that money that would have normally been instantly taken out of your paycheck. Saving on transportation and food.

You'll see about 45 of your 60k a year in a standard job. And depending on how smart you are with your money and avoiding taxes, you could keep close to all of your 90k.

Example - I invested alot of my poker money in real estate, and because of depreciation i'll keep about 48 of the 50k i made last year.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dec. 10th, 2005---Begin downswing.
Jan. 29th, 2006---End downswing.
Bankroll so trashed I had to drop 2 limits.
March 28th, 2006---still $87 less than Dec. 10th, 2005.

You can't just make $100 per day like it's your choice or a simple decision, and life isn't about money.

Regards,
G.I.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same experience. My first major downswing in 3 years of pro play began on Dec 3 and ended Jan 10. A 380 Big bet turn against a 500 BB bankroll. I have just stepped back up to my original limit a lot wiser and realistic in my expectations.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how hard is it to earn 100 dollar++ each day on poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

harder than you think
Old 04-01-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you win $100 each day at poker

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I guess if $100/day is a living then it makes sense. That's McDonald's money where I come from. It doesn't cover a good lunch.
2) Its about 1,000 times more difficult than you have described.
3) It can kill you. The lifestyle sucks.
4) Many of the people you have to tollerate day-in and day-out are among the worst drifter/losers you will meet outside of a halfway house.
5) Your chances of being on TV wth Phil Helmuth are the same as your shot at making it in major league baseball.
6) It's work. I pay more in taxes every month than the vast majority of pros make in a year. I'll keep my job and play for sport and the love of the game.
7) Your wife will leave you. Your kids will be in therapy.
8) It's a lot of work.
9) See #8.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:30 PM

I think it's more than possible but moreso if you play NL ring games...

the variance is much smaller than playing Limit Full ring...and the downswings are prob less as well

I'll let ya'll know in 3 months what the verdict is

-surf
Old 04-01-2006, 11:32 PM

Ive been a pro for about 5 months now, and I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE I know. You have to be a certain sort of person to handle it, the swings and variance are so much worse than I ever imagined. You have to be very strong psychologically and constantly work to improve your game and stay focused. I tell people I know that you need both talent and discipline to be a pro, and talent is only 10% of that, while discipline is 90% of the effort. I think there are very few people capable of such discipline and egolessness.

That said, if you can make it, it is a lot better than a crappy job. If you could make 60-100k at a nice real world job, of course you should take that and keep poker as a side hobby that might let you retire a little earlier. But if, like me, you don't have a college degree, it is a godsend to be able to make a few K a month doing something you enjoy instead of a horrible job for 15 bucks an hour.

The only people I think it's really worth training yourself into a pro for are those who are exceptionally talented, and have the capability of making 100k + per year. However for every 50 people who believe they can do this, there are perhaps 1 or 2 who succeed at it. I am attempting to be one of those because I am not pinned down to a career right now, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else who has greater prospects. I don't believe the lifestyle is as horrible as some people make it out to be, though. My friend is working at the office job I used to have, and they are giving him 12 and 13 hr shifts, long nights, tons of stress, and hes making half what I make playing poker 20 hrs a week. It's all about moderation... I started out playing 50-60 hrs a week, 6 or 8 tabling like a maniac, and yes my life started falling apart. I also wasn't winning very much. One day I changed my mindset and just played 1 table of higher stakes and really concentrated. I now 2 table this way and am making 5x as much money as before from all the reads and nuances I wasn't picking up playing 8 tables or playing tired. As a result, I have plenty of free time to make my life well rounded, spend time with family and friends.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:33 AM

Isn't most of this "pro" poker about multitabling donk tables and playing like a rock, so you know you have a distinct advantage?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:29 PM

This topic kinda scares me considering me I have just made the decision to go pro.

I'm so tired of hearing about variance and the swings. I know about them. They suck.

But really, as a 20 year old who was making 11/hour working from 5am-2pm m-f, and getting treated like [censored], i feel i may be in a good spot to go pro. I'm going to college in september, and have alot of money saved up. I also have a side income, and the option to work with my dad as an electrician part-time. Maybe my situation is unique, i just really feel like i have more to gain than lose, and i know what doesn't kill me will just make me stronger. Every 300-500bb downswing i have experienced in my career thus far, has only made me a better player.

I can understand why going pro is not a good route for someone who is making 50-60k+/year at a professional job (unless they are making double that playing poker), but for someone in my shoes, or a similar situation, is it agreed that playing for a living isn't that bad of an idea...?

Goodluck to all you with similar aspirations.