Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Games offered at The Venetian poker room.

I think Tom's talking about the idiocy of having to count the pot in a 1/2 with all the oddball dollar bets that get made.

Venetian's reasoning behind the 5 dollar increments was just that - to save time and get out more hands.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:27 PM

I suggest we play the 9/18 with 4 and 5 dollar chips.

That would be awesome because very few people would be able to figure out the pot size, or even how many chips they have in front of them.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Venetian has one huge advantage over most poker rooms in Vegas - built in high-rollers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post, AllVegas. And this is the gem of your report. This room could be a real treat if just some of the rollers take up the game.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:43 PM

And across the street, TI hopes to spread 9/18....the only 9/18 in Vegas.

oops.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It will be nice to see one of the new rooms take a stand against the 1-2nl, or 1-3nl games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see at least the 1-2 no limit games go bye-bye. I personally feel that hold'em killed poker, and 1-2 no limit killed hold'em. Good old games like stud mostly disappeared when hold'em got so popular. Also, the limit hold'em games have dried up big time since the no limit craze, and 1-2 no limit seems to be the reason. It's a shame that 90% of rooms get little but 1-2 no limit and 2-4 or 3-6 going these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't agree that hold em' killed poker (Actually it brought it to the forefront, if anything). I have noticed that the $1/2 NL games have taken most of the players that would normally play between $4/8 - 6/12 HE.
Low buy-in tournaments and SNG's have also hurt these games. NL hold em' is what these clowns are watching on ESPN & FSN, they wanna be on the WPT baby ! They've got all the lingo and the props (hats, sunglasses, ipod, etc...) and are playing in a $100 cap 1/2 game, or a $55 buy-in tournament. Pretty funny if you actually think about it really.

7 card stud is my favorite game, and I could go on all night why it's dead (everywhere but Taj/Trop/Foxwoods).
But, the main reasons IMHO are;
1)It is NOT ON TV
2)Most people who play stud are usually older, it's a sad but true fact. Personally, I'd rather play $5/10 stud with a crabby senior citizen (and I'm in my 30's), than be in a lousy $55 NLHE tournament with a 21 year old guy who quotes lame poker cliches and is wearing a Paradise Poker hat sideways. In reality, most guys under 40 want to cut up/get loaded/talk smack at the table with their buddies, not feel like they're playing at a local VFW/American Legion hall.
Just my two cents though....
Old 04-01-2006, 11:11 PM

When I sat down to play stud at the Taj I was the youngest guy at the table. I'm 48 (they kept calling me kid) and thought I was playing with my Dads friends. On the other hand they have been playing stud for years and still don't have a clue how to win.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the OP in this thread. Venetian is going to spread 9/18. TI isn't opening until after the Venetian, therefor it wont be the "only" 9/18 in Vegas.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the OP in this thread. Venetian is going to spread 9/18. TI isn't opening until after the Venetian, therefor it wont be the "only" 9/18 in Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you should read the post you quoted. In particular the part that you edited out, the 'oops' part on behalf of TI.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:59 AM

I didn't even copy that part. I usually do a copy/paste. But when i saw oops, I didn't know what to think. Why write a post like that and then write oops instead of just fixing it before you hit post, lol.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't even copy that part. I usually do a copy/paste. But when i saw oops, I didn't know what to think. Why write a post like that and then write oops instead of just fixing it before you hit post, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's call humor, son, humor. The "oops" was your key there. It's sorta like a smiley face, but you don't have to tilt your head to understand it.