Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 PM

Default 5/10 TP

how bad is this!?

Villian is 30/15 slight LAG

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 04-01-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: 5/10 TP

It's not AWFUL. You'll find very little support for limping UTG around here. Don't think it would hurt to raise this one up.

I'm much more comfortable raising turn donks when I'm comfortable folding to a 3-bet or looking forward to a 3-bet, neither of which are the case here. I'd rather just call it down, and hope he's just trying to deny the free card with KT or A7. You're missing 1BB of value sometimes, but also won't have to face any difficult decisions.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:16 AM

i play it the same. God i hate retard rodeo hands like this. Let me guess, he shows you 6-4?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not AWFUL. You'll find very little support for limping UTG around here. Don't think it would hurt to raise this one up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never raise KJs UTG. i don't think its very wise to in any games except ultra loose ones where you expect lots of cold callers. i limp pretty much always.

if you raise KJs UTG you're only going to end up playing against hands that have you completely dominated and these hands will 3-bet you. raising it UTG can drastically lower the number of playing situations where this hand plays well. thats where its profit comes from. i don't want to cut out these situations.

other than that depending on my own reads on the player i might just call the turn donk and call the river...if not i might be able to fold to the turn 3-bet. it depends.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you raise KJs UTG you're only going to end up playing against hands that have you completely dominated and these hands will 3-bet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true, you have horrible game selection skills.

Raising KJs UTG is standard for me, and I get called by worse hands very frequently.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you raise KJs UTG you're only going to end up playing against hands that have you completely dominated and these hands will 3-bet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising KJs UTG is standard for me, and I get called by worse hands very frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the rest of us mortals, the amount of money you lose playing against hands that have you beat outweighs the times you get called by KT, QJ or QT etc.

i play at 5/10 and 10/20 and raising this UTG will more than likely (not all the time) result in winning the blinds or being 3-bet. and out of those times a crappy player calls you cold, they then can hold many other hands besides those you dominate.

also, what happens if you raise UTG with KJs and a player decides to just call with KQ or maybe even AK. You are going to be spewing if a K comes on the flop.

KJ is a trap 1 pair hand a majority of the time. when its suited its a greatest strengths are flush and straight possibilities. Why would you want to raise and be basically trying to eliminate playing this hand multi-way? There is only 1 situation where you would want to do this: a loose loose game where many people are calling 2 bets cold with anything.

you could find these uber-loose games at .5/1 but at 5/10 i've yet to find one this loose. and my game selection is pretty good.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 PM

I'll raise KJs every single time UTG.
It is a very good hand. You don't wan't hand like
AT, QJs or other hands raise you. You want them out.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll raise KJs every single time UTG.
It is a very good hand. You don't wan't hand like
AT, QJs or other hands raise you. You want them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

QJ is exactly what i want to be playing against. even AT i have 2 live cards plus flush and straight draw. the whole point is that hands that dominate KJ will play against you and probably 3-bet. Hands that you want to play against like QJ, JT, or KT are probably going to fold. raising directly cuts into your profits.

look at the fundamental theorum of poker. you want your opponents to make mistakes. if you call and someone with QJ calls, they are making a mistake. if you raise, they probably will fold and they are making the correct play. if you raise and someone with KQ, AK, AA, KK, QQ or JJ calls or reraises you then guess what, you are making the mistake.

KJs wants to play against multiple players and hit a flush or straight. Raising does not help this hand play to its strength. Raising will win you a small pot or lose you a larger pot.

when i play against players that raise KJs UTG i love it. it helps me play mistake free poker because I fold my dominated hands and 3-bet my dominating hands.

I personally don't like helping my opponents play mistake-free poker against me.

the only time its good to raise KJs UTG is if many people will call 2 bets cold as likely as they will 1 bet. then the whole point of raising is because you increas your value tremendously in a multi-way pot when your hand hits.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:03 PM

This is full table...I prob fold KJs in first 3 positions. As far as raising it UTG I dont think its too bad if table is reasonably tight and you dont spew postflop.

The way the hand played out I fold to 3 bet on turn...
Old 04-01-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise KJs here as well, especially when the game is running real tight-passive. But of course I sometimes seem to spew just for the hell of it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]