Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 AM

Default ($55) AK on KTT -- cbet, C/C, C/R, or C/Puush because donks call?

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
MP1 (t770)
MP2 (t955)
MP3 (t910)
CO+1 (t990)
CO (t740)
Button (t1390)
SB (t1380)
BB (t865)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls t15, <font color="red">Hero raises t60</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t50, BB calls t45, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>

Flop: (t255) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t250</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero bets t940 (All-in)</font>, <font color="red">MP2 bets t645 (All-in)</font>

Turn: (t2090) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t2090) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

My normal line is to cbet here. I considered calling the flop to push the turn... would that have been better?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Re: ($55) AK on KTT -- cbet, C/C, C/R, or C/Puush because donks call?

I'd c bet that flop.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 AM

Why c/r all-in? I am a party $11 nOOB still but I am sure the 55's have donks.

It wouldn't surprize me in the least to to see someone call a 4xBB raise in MP with AT,ATo,KT,KTo,QT,QTo,JT,JTo,TT,Heck even T9, and T9o

I don't know how much credit for better players are given at the 55's. However if this was an 11--

I would raise more PF and C-bet that flop.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Tigerite, why cbet? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Laldaas, thanks for the post. I'm not too worried about him having a T. Out of 47 cards left in the deck, exactly 2 are Ts. Also, the fact that he called me preflop raise leads me to believe that it's much more likely he has AJ+ or PP. Of course, you never know and he can have a T or even KK after all. But if you start hedging against such long shots, it doesn't take long to bleed off all your money to LAG donkeys.

I'm against a cbet here because AK is a common PFR raise hand, and there is still KK as well. I can't think of very many hands that would call a cbet here. By checking I'm hoping to induce a (semi)bluff. I really want all his chips in on the flop.

Against even a very tight calling range I'm ahead 70% of the time.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Please note the huge difference on this flop between KTT and a K99 flop. KTT gives a gutshot to any big ace that whiffed and if he decided to play QJ he has an OESD.

That said, I hate your line here, you have a hand to protect and you are practically begging anyone with a weak king to fold as quickly as possible. You don't care about "maximizing FE" here because your hand has a ton of equity in and of itself.

I would bet the flop and call a push.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tigerite, why cbet? Would love to hear your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would frequently do it because I'm continuing on lots of flops that I whiff, and on a paired board people are generally somewhat less likely to give you credit for your hand.

The one advantage to not leading out here is suppressing the size of the pot. The c/r all-in throws this out the window. Any hand other than QJ is WA/WB against you. I'd usually try and let the guy who has shown interest bet his hand for me, as it has some chance of losing less to a T and extracting more from QQ or KQ (which you'll usually stack anyway) than the c/r all-in.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 AM

I wolud bet the flop for sure.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I wolud bet the flop for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call or fold to a reraise all in?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 PM

I dunno depends how it goes exactly...a button raise is much less scary than a SB check raise.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not too worried about him having a T. Out of 47 cards left in the deck, exactly 2 are Ts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing personal, but in my opinion this is a donkish way to think. "Hey, there's NO WAY one of those other three players in the pot with me could have a ten!"

Well, yes there is a way. Your job is to figure out whether or not they do. A LAG probably doesn't. A rock probably does.

As for the flop bet, you'd hate to see another broadway card here, so you bet to try to take it down without having to risk your whole stack on a check-raise when villain might feel pot-committed or might be way ahead.

If someone pushes, then you have a decision to make.