Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 01:16 AM

Default 100NL - KJs with 2nd pair

I'm starting to think I'm playing too LAG preflop in these 6max games from the first two positions. So I am quite open to suggestions that I should have folded this preflop.

I called the flop because I was getting over 14.5:1 and miracles can happen. I wasn't exactly expecting to put any more money in, probably not even if a K came. The K comes and there's the $1 bet-call routine again. I start thinking that it's unfortunate that making plays that make no sense is such a good way at exploiting me.

Anyway, when it gets back to me on the turn I now think I'm ahead and I'll go ahead and take this pot now. I am not worried in the slightest about SB and I think Button's most likely holding is a club draw, or T8 or 9x or something I beat. When he calls I'm giving him more credit for Ax, but not tons more. I really don't think I can value bet this river at all, and given his $1 bets so far I think I can safely fold to a largish river bet and call small ones.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($122.75)
SB ($82.85)
BB ($21.05)
Hero ($99.50)
MP ($162.20)
CO ($83.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $3, Button calls $3, SB calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($13) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1</font>, SB calls $1, Hero calls $1, CO folds.

Turn: ($16) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1</font>, SB calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $7, SB folds.

River: ($33) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks
Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Re: 100NL - KJs with 2nd pair

If you raise loosely preflop you gotta bet ace high flops strongly. Then you can pretty much let it go if your c-bet doesn't hit.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:32 AM

C-betting the flop is usally my play, but check/folding isn't bad either. Calling is okay if you're not going to do something donkey on the turn or river...

That turn checkraise is bad. Why? If they have a flushdraw they can call correctly. An ace won't fold to such a small raise.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise loosely preflop you gotta bet ace high flops strongly. Then you can pretty much let it go if your c-bet doesn't hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually do c-bet, but that's because I usually only get 1 or sometimes 2 callers preflop (I'm not raising KJs UTG if I'm expecting to get 3 callers very often at all).