Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: TLDR Jeep Club

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Katy! I'd love to take you for a ride if we ever get to meet up.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, ok! But I learned that jeep owners are a little crazy! I went for a couple rides with a jeep owner who had one of those Scramblers. He was insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back when I had the green jeep I would agree with you 100%. I am a little nicer to this one as far as being crazy and driving it but I may be slightly crazy anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but Katy knows I wuv her and wouldnt let anything bad happen to her.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I learned that jeep owners are a little crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have come to this conclusion myself. But "crazy" in a good way. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn juanez that last pic looks rough

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was a pretty rough day in Moab. Here's the story if you're interested:

Matt put on the 6" Rock Krawler lift and the 37" swampers (think I wrote 35's in the earlier post but they're 37's). A few days later we go to Moab. Not sure if you're ever been there (it's SWEEEEEEEET) but the first trail we get on is "Poison Spider".

About 3/4 of a mile in Matt decided to try to crawl over this 3 foot ledge that was an off-shoot of the main trail. I'm behind him on the main trail, just watching, because there's no way I can get over that. He gets to the lip, gives it a little gas and I hear the gut-wrenching sound of the rear end just grinding itself to oblivion.

He rolls backwards a few feet. Everything looked fine, but I knew what I heard was bad news. He gets back onto the main trail and starts up the "easy" route. I immediatley see his wheel start seperating from the Jeep - busted axle. We tore the rear end apart, and sure enough a few gears were sheared off as well.

Sooooo, I collect all of the busted parts and go to town for replacements in my rig. If you're ever in Moab and need help on the trail or parts, go to "The 4X4 Outpost". These guys rock and will actually go to your vehicle on the trail to do the repairs if necessary. Reasonable prices too. I think it was $40/hour for shop work and $50/hour for trail repairs (travel is charged at $50/hour as well). Not too bad IMHO.

I get the parts and we patch Matt's Jeep up. We had a few hours of daylight left so we continue up Poison Spider trail. We go through some really fun stuff and were having a great time.

Then we get to a really technical spot. Huge boulders, very steep. Matt repeats the busted axle/gears routine. 4X4 Outpost is closed and it's almost dark, so we leave his rig, go to camp and proceed to consume several adult beverages. Of course I razz Matt about his "Monster Rig"....

The next day we get Matt fixed up again and head to town, since his rig was obviously not trail worthy. Again we proceed to consume several adult beverages and I razz Matt some more.

Moral of the story is that stock Dana 35 axles can't handle tires over 33" MAX. Even 33's are pushing it. I have 33's and a Dana 44 or Ford 9" are on my wish list. Maybe I'll splurge my tax return on one.

One thing with Jeepin is that you can't get pissed or angry if things break or you scratch/dent up your rig. It comes with the territory. Matt's ordeal was a cheap lesson for me, but a rather expensive one for him.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM

juanez,

If you are looking for some more axles try some message boards and junk tards. You can get them pretty cheap that way sometimes. I have been able to find a bunch of the stuff I want or may want on a local message board. If you do get them I expect I full trip report and pics of you putting them on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A good buddy of mine is going to be doing some repairs to his jeep and I will make sure to take my camera there and get some pics of that for the thread here as well.

X
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM

I am bumping this thread because I am now official!
I am the proud owner of a bouncing baby Jeep ...again.
I mentioned before that way back when I drove a CJ-7(and loved it) but I needed a car that would be accommodating to the family. Jeep has now come out with a 4 door Jeep, a real one not an SUV one. So, I get my Jeep fix and can still be accommodating. Those Jeep people are pretty smart. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Harry cannot wait to go for a ride!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Whoa. Your jeep looks awesome. Nice choice there, Mrs.U!