Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Tell me about your cutting phase

hey wynton,

you likely already know this, but in order to lose the 5 or 10 lbs that you want to you are going to have to create some kind of caloric deficit...even though you eat clean, if you are eating at maintenance you won't lose weight...you don't have to eat less, you can make some substitutions that will allow you to eat the same amount of food with less cals or you can increase expenditure...but unless you are at a deficit the weight isn't gonna go anywhere...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM

As said to lose weight calories burned > calories taken in

On a side note theres no such thing as spot reduction.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Thirddan,

I'm afraid that there's not many substitutions I can make, or that I may not have the will power to do so. I eat salads frequently for lunch, often have fruit for breakfast, and eat junk pretty infrequently. I probably could cut back portions, but not that much. I almost never drink alcohol or even juice.

I think I'm at the point where I would need to be ultra-rigorous to reduce calories (like never eating bread items or anything sweet). I don't know if I could sustain it, and I'm not sure whether it's really worth it.

This is why I found some appeal in cbloom's comments about not bothering to cut back the last 10 pounds. He said that because he wanted to increase strength. I don't want to increase strength, but I do want to decrease flab.

Maybe I'm just fooling myself and there's no substitute for reducing calorie consumption.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM

i imagine that if you posted your daily food intake we could find some replacements that you could make...even replacing an apple with some spinach could probably get rid of 80cal/day which would help a bit...and most people dont eat as clean as they think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

there are other ways to create the deficit as well...you could change lifting programs to a more fat burning structure with shorter rest periods or add in an extra hiit session per week...there are lots of options...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 PM

wynton, to be frank, i hear you saying two things. one is that you cant cut calories out of your diet because you eat so few already there arent any to cut out. the second is that if you were to cut calories out of your diet you wouldnt have the will power to maintain it for long.

based on the fact that your BMI is 25.4, which squeeks you into the overweight category, id guess it's the second one.

try tracking your calories for a few days at fitday.com and see what your numbers looks like. i bet youll be surprised.

edit: and if it is the second, as someone suggested, find better alternatives for those calories.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wynton, to be frank, i hear you saying two things. one is that you cant cut calories out of your diet because you eat so few already there arent any to cut out. the second is that if you were to cut calories out of your diet you wouldnt have the will power to maintain it for long.

based on the fact that your BMI is 25.4, which squeeks you into the overweight category, id guess it's the second one.

try tracking your calories for a few days at fitday.com and see what your numbers looks like. i bet youll be surprised.

edit: and if it is the second, as someone suggested, find better alternatives for those calories.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at using BMI on a fitness forum.

Christ. My BMI is 26.9 I doubt I'm more than 15% BF at the worst.

But yeah, its a horrid way to do any sort of analysis.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM

This is a perfect context where BMI can be used.

The fact that Wynton has a BMI of 25.4 proves that he has to be taking in a certain amount of calories (alot more then some on the low end of the BMI scale). Whether he holds more muscle or fat makes no difference to Bwana's point.

He was simply saying that Wynton has alot more room to cut calories then he thinks.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at using BMI on a fitness forum.

Christ. My BMI is 26.9 I doubt I'm more than 15% BF at the worst.

But yeah, its a horrid way to do any sort of analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

people either love BMI or hate it. i understand it has limitations and dont throw the baby out w/ the bathwater.

BMI doesnt apply to people who have a lot of muscle which wynton has said he doesnt have.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 PM

It also doesn't factor in your frame. My BMI will be carried much differently than Dids at the same level purely because of bone structure. BMI doesn't do anything for this. Its also effing retarded.

He just needs to stop whining and make a food log with macro breakdowns like everyone else on the planet does.

I honestly don't think there is a single instance where BMI is the best tool (or even a useful) one for determining anything.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:54 PM

BMI is retarded.

If a formula classifies Terrell Owens as "morbidly obese" i completely ignore it.