Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Tell me about your cutting phase (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527488)

Bond18 10-20-2007 11:38 PM

Tell me about your cutting phase

Since getting back into working out the first goal i have after restoring routine and healthy habits is weight loss.

I'm in pretty good shape at this point but still looking kind of soft in the abs/obliques region and should prolly cut another 10ish pounds.

So tell me about your cutting phase:

What kind of supplements do you use?
How much cardio how many times a week and what type?
How does your lifting schedule change?
What kind of diet altercations?
Concentrate on any sports?
Anything else you should make me aware of?

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Northern 10-21-2007 12:11 PM

Re: Tell me about your cutting phase

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of supplements do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]
I use the same supplements that I normally use. A few scoops of protein throughout the day when neeeded, a PWO shake and creatine if on at that time. The only difference I make when cutting is I add an EC stack.

[ QUOTE ]
How much cardio how many times a week and what type?

[/ QUOTE ]I do a 5min or so job or jump rope for a warm-up. Rarely will I go to a gym for cardio, I normally go for a run, so it's long extended cardio for me, no HIIT. I normally do it 3 times a week, sometimes more dependig on how much I plan on cutting and how rough the bulk was.

[ QUOTE ]
How does your lifting schedule change?

[/ QUOTE ]
Somewhat. When cutting I am taking in less food, so I won;t push as heavy as a weight, I won't try for a new PR. But other than that routine will stay the same, unless its time for a change.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of diet altercations?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been knowen to do a dirty bulk occassionaly, so when cutting I really concentrate on clean food. No snacking and limit quantities. Personally I find a large part is portion and calorie control. I also reduce the amount of carbs I intake later in teh day.

[ QUOTE ]
Concentrate on any sports?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am the most uncoordinated person so I do not play sports. If you do, continue with them. A variety in cardio is great for you and it won't bore you.

[ QUOTE ]
Anything else you should make me aware of?

[/ QUOTE ]
10 lbs isn't too difficult, however you want to get to a low bodyfat %. Just concentrate on your diet, follow a plan and up the cardio. Patience is key, if it's not working after a few days, alter your plan.

KexChoklad123 10-21-2007 07:39 PM

Swimming does miracles for your body. It is also good because you can change between breast/back/freestyle and so on. Variation is the key for many reasons. I train my body divided into 3 times where 3 times equals every muscle group. Then I go by feel and put in cardio when I feel like it, swimming, boxing and outdoor running.

I eat like a horse also, works for me..

Ponies 10-22-2007 01:19 AM

I take vit c / calcium / multi / green tea extract / glutamine / 100g maltodextrin postworkout drink.

Cardio 3-4x a wk 30-45 min 75% max heart rate

Lifting stays similar 3x a week, except reps in the 8-12 range instead of 4-6.

Diet usually 800-1000 less calories. The % of protein/carbs/fat lowered to have more protein and less carbs as a % of the total grams that im eating.

Wynton 10-22-2007 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one know one's max heart rate?

bwana devil 10-22-2007 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one know one's max heart rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Age Average Maximum Heart Rate100 %
20 years 200 beats per minute
25 years 195 beats per minute
30 years 190 beats per minute
35 years 185 beats per minute
40 years 180 beats per minute
45 years 175 beats per minute
50 years 170 beats per minute
55 years 165 beats per minute
60 years 160 beats per minute
65 years 155 beats per minute
70 years 150 beats per minute

target heart rates

Wynton 10-22-2007 09:38 AM

Thanks for the info.

cbloom 10-22-2007 12:26 PM

I've just recently decided I'm never "cutting" again in my life. I think it's been severely holding back my strength growth. I guess if you're way way overweight there could be a use for it, but if you're less than 20 pounds overweight, just add muscle without changing your weight much.

Bond18 10-23-2007 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just recently decided I'm never "cutting" again in my life. I think it's been severely holding back my strength growth. I guess if you're way way overweight there could be a use for it, but if you're less than 20 pounds overweight, just add muscle without changing your weight much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, nobody would call me overweight whatsoever. I'm not quite as concerned with my strength ATM as probably many of the guys on here are now, but after this cutting phase it will be a long long time before i do another.

I guess I'm kind of aiming at aesthetic goals for the moment, and will do strength concentrated training down the line.

Wynton 10-23-2007 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, nobody would call me overweight whatsoever. I'm not quite as concerned with my strength ATM as probably many of the guys on here are now, but after this cutting phase it will be a long long time before i do another.

I guess I'm kind of aiming at aesthetic goals for the moment, and will do strength concentrated training down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this morning, after I weighed myself (after tennis) and seeing that I was stuck again at 172 pounds, where I have been for quite a while. In my eyes, I look like I need to lose 5 pounds, as I have a very mild gut. And perhaps 10 would be ideal. But despite being pretty active, the weight isn't going anywhere, it seems, unless I actually cut my calorie intake, which isn't that easy considering I eat pretty well anyway.

So, maybe I should just focus on turning that abdominal flab into muscle.

(By the way, I'm 5'9" and about to turn 44.)