Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Tough river spot, $200 NL

seems like he raise you light pf and hit his str8 on the river

i also would check the river behind - he must have checked to get a bet from AK and other wiffed overs
Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like he raise you light pf and hit his str8 on the river

i also would check the river behind - he must have checked to get a bet from AK and other wiffed overs

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a possibility although I still don't understand his river check considering I have one pair on this spot so often. I would think betting would be much better than hoping I have exactly ace high (or hoping/knowing I'm a donkey who makes stupidly thin value bets).
Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Hey, just saw this post. I'd rather not give too much advice on how to play vs. myself, but if you post the HH# I'll pm you what I had.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM

why would he look you up with AK?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Hey Pennpal, the hh# is 11908355695.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

your river bet-sizing turns your hand face up here so he can prob do this w/ wiffed hearts. he can also have you beat you're getting pretty good odds. really tough spot and id bet the river bigger and as played i prob call and make a note.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your river bet-sizing turns your hand face up here so he can prob do this w/ wiffed hearts. he can also have you beat you're getting pretty good odds. really tough spot and id bet the river bigger and as played i prob call and make a note.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I realized my river bet turned my hand face up but I thought it wouldn't matter since he can't realistically expect me to fold here which is also the reason I actually did fold. I really screwed this hand up.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM

This is pretty tough. My instinct is to ask what hand does he think that you have. Your hand looks alot like QQ-KK to me (or possibly a tricky played JJ), given that you flat called preflop, checked the turn and then made a thin blocking? bet on the river.

I don't think he'll interpret your small bet on the river as a bluff, since bluffing hands don't call that flop.

However, it's hard to put him on a hand on the river. I think he either has JJ, AK or the occasional AA. I think a smart player will call with AA usually since the small bet from the Hero on the Villain looks like either the nuts or a small enough bet so the Hero can get away from his hand. Therefore, theirs no value in raising with AA, since only better hands call.

Since the Villain is smart and his range is polarized by the nuts and bluffs. Bluffs look to make up at least 25% of his range, this looks like a call to me.

meh...that's my thought process, not if it's very helpful
Old 09-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Rainbow,

Hero's in position, blocking bets are only OOP. It's def a value bet as described by OP.

Also why would villain just c/c with AA when hero most likely has at most a one pair hand given the no bet turn? I'd say AKhh and AA are large part of villians range here.

OP, why would you expect villain to look you up with AK here?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:52 PM

You needed to plan this out better because you shouldn't bet riv if you're gonna fold to a shove. You're letting him put $141 in the pot to win $248 (it's a profitable bluff for him if it only works a little better than 1/3 of the time) and you're folding for $76 more! It's like a freaking minraise!!