Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Notre Dame into the Big 10????

I know it's not a new idea, but the new discussion may be timely.

What do you folks think of Stewart Mandel's article on si.com that Notre Dame and the Big 10 need other, and that the time is right for ND to move into the Big 10?

I'm not going to post a link (not sure if I'm allowed??), but I'm sure you'll find it easy enough.

So, is this move overdue?? Discussion....
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Notre Dame into the Big 10????

posting links is fine, posting full article in thread is not. Also, would love to see Notre Dame join the Big Ten, hopefully it would mean the addition of a conference championship game which would be awesome imo.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
posting links is fine, posting full article in thread is not. Also, would love to see Notre Dame join the Big Ten, hopefully it would mean the addition of a conference championship game which would be awesome imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like to see notre dame join the big ten but i think conference championships are a horrible idea.

it makes it harder to get the best teams to the bcs championship game.

why take a chance of having a crappy mississippi state that squeeks into the championship game knocking out a powerhouse that may be florida or georgia or whichever team may be dominant
Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like to see notre dame join the big ten but i think conference championships are a horrible idea.

why take a chance of having a crappy mississippi state that squeeks into the championship game knocking out a powerhouse that may be florida or georgia or whichever team may be dominant

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if that powerhouse Georgia or Florida team takes a crappy Mississippi State team that lightly, maybe they don't deserve to be in a BCS title game. Conference Championships are actually the closest I predict we'll get to an ACTUAL playoff system for probably 5-10 years, if not longer.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if that powerhouse Georgia or Florida team takes a crappy Mississippi State team that lightly, maybe they don't deserve to be in a BCS title game. Conference Championships are actually the closest I predict we'll get to an ACTUAL playoff system for probably 5-10 years, if not longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine as long as everyone else does it. The Pac 10, Big 10 and Big East are at a huge advantage because their conference champion has one less tough game they have to lose, as opposed to the title game that the Big 12, ACC and SEC has to win.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine as long as everyone else does it. The Pac 10, Big 10 and Big East are at a huge advantage because their conference champion has one less tough game they have to lose, as opposed to the title game that the Big 12, ACC and SEC has to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

A case could be made that that championship game could also make up for weak OOC scheduling.

The PAC also has to play everyone in their conference.

b
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while it's true they avoid the title game, I would never lump the Pac10 into this scenario

1) They play a true round robin, so they get one more conference game

2) The Pac10 is the only conference that has balls when it comes to scheduling non-conf opponents---they'll schedule other major conferences, top programs from the mid-levels, and will play road games!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:07 PM

The last thing the Big Ten needs is another [censored] football team.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it would be like a 1st stage of a playoff.

I wish the Pac got 2 more teams so they could do it. Boise St and Fresno St in particular.

Besides, it would be very unlikely a crappy team would sneak into a championship game and win. Not unlike a team sneaking into a championship game, getting their asshanders, and still making the NC game, ala Oklahoma. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

b
Old 10-07-2007, 02:52 AM

it happened to tennessee a few years back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Championship_Game

2001 #2 Tennessee 20-31 #21 LSU