Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Swings - multitabling - what should I expect?

I have just had an unbelievable 1300 hands, across which I swung up almost 4 buyins, then collapsed in a tilt-frenzy, down about 5 buyins.

The end result is that I am now about 1.5 buy-ins under where the day started.

I am a relative newbie, so am interested to know if this kind of swing an unusual occurrence? Or is this just the territory we are in?

Pretty gutted about the 5 buy-in collapse, and know I have some serious emotional control issues that I need to deal with, but that is my problem.

Comments about what sorts of 'swings' I should expect 3 tabling NL25 are very welcome.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Swings - multitabling - what should I expect?

These swings are standard. Usual thing to do after losing 5 buyins is to walk away and play another day. You'll want to check if you are playing well and getting the money in ahead in all-in confrontations.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM

5 buyin swings are super standard.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 AM

Interesting, and seriously reassuring, I know I have a lot to learn, and know I was tilting, but didn't want to believe that what happened was a chip dump of mega-donk proportions.

Can some of you describe for me a typical swing cycle on a typical day?

[Aside: One thing that alarms me is how fast a instance of tilt can compound on itself and get out of control. It is a strange thing to be conscious of the fact that a decision is a bad one, and make it anyway, then buy in again and do it all over again, then again.]
Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 AM

I am a full ring nit, so I don't have big swings either up or down. +/- 2 or 3 buyins is pretty standard for me in a days time. I rarely ever have any out of that range either way.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM

Multitabling shouldn't really make a difference, besides the fact your playing more hands in a shorter time. There was just another thread about withdrawling your winnings (should be on 1st or 2nd page) with some great info on this very subject from people who know a lot more than me.

The fact of the matter is, if your down 5 buy-ins in 1 day of multitabling its no different than being down 5 buy-ins after 5 days of single tabling. If anything let this be a lesson that might help you stop tilting. You have realized in a few hours what a little tilt can do over a weeks time, try to control it. The only difference is your tilting more hands/hour multitabling.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Multitabling shouldn't really make a difference,

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree!

If I suffer a bad beat on one table, I am much more likely to make a donkey-tilt play on another table. (In fact I did exactly this yesterday, turning the loss of one buy-in into two.)

If you are playing at a single table, you have time to gather your thoughts, and hopefully not go off on tilt quite so easily.

Another advantage to playing at a single table, is that you have a chance to truly watch the action and make notes on the other players.

Of course, it isn't necessary to either watch the action or make notes, in order to beat $25NL, but it is a great discipline to get into, if one aspires to move up to bigger games.