Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Swings - multitabling - what should I expect? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=471401)

automaton_22 08-07-2007 08:49 AM

Swings - multitabling - what should I expect?

I have just had an unbelievable 1300 hands, across which I swung up almost 4 buyins, then collapsed in a tilt-frenzy, down about 5 buyins.

The end result is that I am now about 1.5 buy-ins under where the day started.

I am a relative newbie, so am interested to know if this kind of swing an unusual occurrence? Or is this just the territory we are in?

Pretty gutted about the 5 buy-in collapse, and know I have some serious emotional control issues that I need to deal with, but that is my problem.

Comments about what sorts of 'swings' I should expect 3 tabling NL25 are very welcome.

hongster 08-07-2007 08:52 AM

Re: Swings - multitabling - what should I expect?

These swings are standard. Usual thing to do after losing 5 buyins is to walk away and play another day. You'll want to check if you are playing well and getting the money in ahead in all-in confrontations.

Clever Nickname 08-07-2007 08:53 AM

5 buyin swings are super standard.

automaton_22 08-07-2007 09:01 AM

Interesting, and seriously reassuring, I know I have a lot to learn, and know I was tilting, but didn't want to believe that what happened was a chip dump of mega-donk proportions.

Can some of you describe for me a typical swing cycle on a typical day?

[Aside: One thing that alarms me is how fast a instance of tilt can compound on itself and get out of control. It is a strange thing to be conscious of the fact that a decision is a bad one, and make it anyway, then buy in again and do it all over again, then again.]

kcheel 08-07-2007 10:05 AM

I am a full ring nit, so I don't have big swings either up or down. +/- 2 or 3 buyins is pretty standard for me in a days time. I rarely ever have any out of that range either way.

syncmaster 08-07-2007 10:29 AM

Multitabling shouldn't really make a difference, besides the fact your playing more hands in a shorter time. There was just another thread about withdrawling your winnings (should be on 1st or 2nd page) with some great info on this very subject from people who know a lot more than me.

The fact of the matter is, if your down 5 buy-ins in 1 day of multitabling its no different than being down 5 buy-ins after 5 days of single tabling. If anything let this be a lesson that might help you stop tilting. You have realized in a few hours what a little tilt can do over a weeks time, try to control it. The only difference is your tilting more hands/hour multitabling.

robracing 08-07-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Multitabling shouldn't really make a difference,

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree!

If I suffer a bad beat on one table, I am much more likely to make a donkey-tilt play on another table. (In fact I did exactly this yesterday, turning the loss of one buy-in into two.)

If you are playing at a single table, you have time to gather your thoughts, and hopefully not go off on tilt quite so easily.

Another advantage to playing at a single table, is that you have a chance to truly watch the action and make notes on the other players.

Of course, it isn't necessary to either watch the action or make notes, in order to beat $25NL, but it is a great discipline to get into, if one aspires to move up to bigger games.

superpokermon 08-07-2007 03:18 PM

5 buy in swings can happen at any time even without tilt. If you don't get the tilt under control you'll probably see swings like this pretty frequently. Learn to stay calm, or just close all your tables if you think you're about to emotionally lose it. Also, be sure to go over all of your biggest winning and losing hands in pokertracker at the end of a session.

Assani Fisher 08-07-2007 05:32 PM

5 buy in swings are not expected to happen anywhere close to a daily basis, but they do indeed happen. It does sound like you need to work on tilt control though, or at the very least just get up from the tables if you can't improve on it.

syncmaster 08-07-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Multitabling shouldn't really make a difference,

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree!

If I suffer a bad beat on one table, I am much more likely to make a donkey-tilt play on another table. (In fact I did exactly this yesterday, turning the loss of one buy-in into two.)

If you are playing at a single table, you have time to gather your thoughts, and hopefully not go off on tilt quite so easily.

Another advantage to playing at a single table, is that you have a chance to truly watch the action and make notes on the other players.

Of course, it isn't necessary to either watch the action or make notes, in order to beat $25NL, but it is a great discipline to get into, if one aspires to move up to bigger games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but tilting ur money away at 4 tables in 30 minutes is the same as doing it at 1 table over 4 days. Its just much faster. Just like if your not tilting you will win/lose faster.

Yeah the normal person can play better at 1 table.. Try playing 9 for a few months and then droping down to one. Thats when my tilt comes and Ive seen it at its worst lately while trying to adjust to 1 table (sound weird I know).

Your last statement sums up why I have had to adjust to playing a few tables instead of my normal 9. I blew threw NL $25 and before I knew it was playing 9 tables of $100NL.. Then I moved up and realized it wouldn't work anymore and I probley wasn't getting any better.

I am assuming most of the people new to multi-tabling would be happy playing comfertably at 4.. If you want to shoot for more good luck. I would advise from experience to never bother trying to learn more than 6, unless your mind can handle it. The fun factor goes down a lot and your tilt might jsut reverse like mine and happen when ur getting 30 hands a hour.