Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Default B&M Strategy posts

I understand the idea behind moving the B&M strategy threads to strategy forums, but I think it is a mistake. Every interesting B&M strategy thread that I have followed to the strategy forum died prematurely, because it quickly falls off the front page. I'm also highly skeptical that there is much in common between live 1/2 NL game and online micro-stakes game, despite similar skill levels involved.

I think the moderators that are moving the strategy posts are making a mistake of being too strict about categorizing posts, and ignoring the fact that those posts are aimed at a specific target audience. Forums are not just about categories, they're also about established communities, and if I have a B&M strategy question, I really, really want B&M strategy forum to discuss it; I don't want it to die on a forum where it's nominally appropriate but in practice ill-suited for.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: B&M Strategy posts

How cute of the mods to move the post. It should be fairly obvious that the reason I posted it in the B&M forum is so that others in the B&M community could chime and agree or disagree with me. If you mean to move the post to kill the thread, then thanks for proving my point.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How cute of the mods to move the post. It should be fairly obvious that the reason I posted it in the B&M forum is so that others in the B&M community could chime and agree or disagree with me. If you mean to move the post to kill the thread, then thanks for proving my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dima - your post shows that you don't understand that people in B&M can still find your thread, the pointer remains in B&M and is still at the top of the page. Please understand that B&M is not the right forum for this discussion, 2+2 policy discussion and criticism of mod actions belong here in ATF so the forums themselves don't get hijacked by disagreements.

I'll leave my thoughts on your topic out of the discussion for now, I'll join in later on when its more relevant.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 PM

In a perfect world, you would be able to have the same post appear in multiple categories. Or, not even a perfect world, but just one where forum software creators thought a bit outside the box. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Having said that, if there are not very many strategy posts in B&M, then there is no need to move them. And if there are a lot of strategy posts in B&M, then maybe there should be a separate B&M Strategy forum.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a perfect world, you would be able to have the same post appear in multiple categories. Or, not even a perfect world, but just one where forum software creators thought a bit outside the box. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Cross-posting sucks.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Cross-posting sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Because then you have 2 different thread on the same topic but with different content.

So, yeah, that sucks.

What I brought up is not cross-posting. I think it's a damn good idea -- I should patent it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dima - your post shows that you don't understand that people in B&M can still find your thread, the pointer remains in B&M and is still at the top of the page.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I can understand it all right. The problem is that the pointer is going to keep sinking down, regardless of how active this thread is.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also highly skeptical that there is much in common between live 1/2 NL game and online micro-stakes game, despite similar skill levels involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two have a ton in common. If you want to learn NL, live or online, the uNL forum is probably the best place to start.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also highly skeptical that there is much in common between live 1/2 NL game and online micro-stakes game, despite similar skill levels involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two have a ton in common. If you want to learn NL, live or online, the uNL forum is probably the best place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

One major difference in online & live, is that live you play a LOT less hands. When you multi-table uNL online, you are reducing your variance and increasing your winrate -- so taking the slightest of margins is still OK. Live, you often fold slight margins, so you can maximize the larger ones. Or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One major difference in online & live, is that live you play a LOT less hands. When you multi-table uNL online, you are reducing your variance and increasing your winrate -- so taking the slightest of margins is still OK. Live, you often fold slight margins, so you can maximize the larger ones. Or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've played live 1/2, I know that you play A LOT less hands. Your logic, however, seems very silly to me. Your basically saying that in the two minutes you take to play the hand you could be playing another hand and potentially making more. This is a very small effect if any and has little to do with strategic decisions.