Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   B&M Strategy posts (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395808)

Dima2000123 05-04-2007 09:58 PM

B&M Strategy posts

I understand the idea behind moving the B&M strategy threads to strategy forums, but I think it is a mistake. Every interesting B&M strategy thread that I have followed to the strategy forum died prematurely, because it quickly falls off the front page. I'm also highly skeptical that there is much in common between live 1/2 NL game and online micro-stakes game, despite similar skill levels involved.

I think the moderators that are moving the strategy posts are making a mistake of being too strict about categorizing posts, and ignoring the fact that those posts are aimed at a specific target audience. Forums are not just about categories, they're also about established communities, and if I have a B&M strategy question, I really, really want B&M strategy forum to discuss it; I don't want it to die on a forum where it's nominally appropriate but in practice ill-suited for.

Dima2000123 05-04-2007 10:38 PM

Re: B&M Strategy posts

How cute of the mods to move the post. It should be fairly obvious that the reason I posted it in the B&M forum is so that others in the B&M community could chime and agree or disagree with me. If you mean to move the post to kill the thread, then thanks for proving my point.

*TT* 05-04-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How cute of the mods to move the post. It should be fairly obvious that the reason I posted it in the B&M forum is so that others in the B&M community could chime and agree or disagree with me. If you mean to move the post to kill the thread, then thanks for proving my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dima - your post shows that you don't understand that people in B&M can still find your thread, the pointer remains in B&M and is still at the top of the page. Please understand that B&M is not the right forum for this discussion, 2+2 policy discussion and criticism of mod actions belong here in ATF so the forums themselves don't get hijacked by disagreements.

I'll leave my thoughts on your topic out of the discussion for now, I'll join in later on when its more relevant.

Leader 05-04-2007 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also highly skeptical that there is much in common between live 1/2 NL game and online micro-stakes game, despite similar skill levels involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two have a ton in common. If you want to learn NL, live or online, the uNL forum is probably the best place to start.

KipBond 05-04-2007 11:31 PM

In a perfect world, you would be able to have the same post appear in multiple categories. Or, not even a perfect world, but just one where forum software creators thought a bit outside the box. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Having said that, if there are not very many strategy posts in B&M, then there is no need to move them. And if there are a lot of strategy posts in B&M, then maybe there should be a separate B&M Strategy forum.

KipBond 05-04-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also highly skeptical that there is much in common between live 1/2 NL game and online micro-stakes game, despite similar skill levels involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two have a ton in common. If you want to learn NL, live or online, the uNL forum is probably the best place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

One major difference in online & live, is that live you play a LOT less hands. When you multi-table uNL online, you are reducing your variance and increasing your winrate -- so taking the slightest of margins is still OK. Live, you often fold slight margins, so you can maximize the larger ones. Or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

iron81 05-04-2007 11:43 PM

Earlier thread on this topic. And probably the reason TT moved your thread.

Leader 05-04-2007 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One major difference in online & live, is that live you play a LOT less hands. When you multi-table uNL online, you are reducing your variance and increasing your winrate -- so taking the slightest of margins is still OK. Live, you often fold slight margins, so you can maximize the larger ones. Or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've played live 1/2, I know that you play A LOT less hands. Your logic, however, seems very silly to me. Your basically saying that in the two minutes you take to play the hand you could be playing another hand and potentially making more. This is a very small effect if any and has little to do with strategic decisions.

*TT* 05-05-2007 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier thread on this topic. And probably the reason TT moved your thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Iron. That last thread was a rare exception to the policy, we discussed in advance if it should belong in ATF or B&M and we decided it was better off that one time in B&M because it will help us to develop a new strategy to encourage B&M users to visit the strat forums. Expect a sticky and new thread with visits from all the strat mods and a few notable names to help convince the B&M regulars that believe there is a difference between B&M and online thought processes that they are wrong. Nobody is denying the games play differently, but the thought process for a winning player is the same with ocasional slight differences.

KipBond 05-05-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've played live 1/2, I know that you play A LOT less hands. Your logic, however, seems very silly to me. Your basically saying that in the two minutes you take to play the hand you could be playing another hand and potentially making more. This is a very small effect if any and has little to do with strategic decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?? I'm saying that when you can play 10 tables at uNL online where each table is playing 40-50 hands/hr, that's 400-500 hands/hr. So in that hour, your variance will be less than someone playing an hour of $1/$2 live. In addition, your winrate (in BBs) will be more in that hour also.

This affects the strategic decisions you make. For example, if you are a 51% favorite in a live $1/$2 game, you might fold if it's going to cost you 500BBs if you lose. Even though it's +EV call (slightly), it dramatically increases your variance -- and will take you many hours to make up. Online, you can win back the 500BB in relatively little time.