Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Luxor, Monte Carlo, or others comparable?

Hey guys,

I will be in Vegas for the first time and have found a couple of deals at the Luxor and Monte Carlo. Anyone like these or should I look for something different? Poker rooms are not important. Not looking to spend too much, but want to be on the strip.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Luxor, Monte Carlo, or others comparable?

I have stayed at both places. They are both nice. Monte Carlo is a little closer to the center of the strip and they have a lazy river which is nice to float around in if it's hot. Other than that, I can't think of any reason why you would choose one over the other.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 PM

I have stayed at both and would choose Monte Carlo.

Closer to center strip as noted, the Brewery is a nice casual cheap good place to eat/hang, Luxor doesn't have an equivalent.
Since you mentioned cost, the chinese place at the front of Monte Carlo has a nice good value lunch special, and the beers from the brewery are quite good and free to players of course.
If staying in the summer the pool at monte carlo is quite superior as well.
Luxor is fine too, but Monte Carlo is my favorite "cheaper" strip property. I live here but we will stay a couple nights at the hotel in the summer on an internet special and use the pool, see the band at the brewery, etc.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Oh yeah - and Purple Reign is this Prince cover band that puts on an awesome show with a full cast of Prince "characters" from Purple Rain - it sounds really stupid when you type it out but trust me it was a really awesome show. They play on wed or thurs at the Brew Pub.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 PM

Yeah, you guys are right. I thought the rooms were nicer at the MC but I wasn't going to give it the complete thumbs up because a couple of my friends stayed there too (same time I was there) and they found some loose M & M's in their bed sheets on the 1st night that they were there. Thus leading them to believe that the maid didn't change the sheets. But my room looked clean to me.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you guys are right. I thought the rooms were nicer at the MC but I wasn't going to give it the complete thumbs up because a couple of my friends stayed there too (same time I was there) and they found some loose M & M's in their bed sheets on the 1st night that they were there. Thus leading them to believe that the maid didn't change the sheets. But my room looked clean to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the maid just misunderstood the "chocolates on the pillow" part of the handbook. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah - and Purple Reign is this Prince cover band that puts on an awesome show with a full cast of Prince "characters" from Purple Rain - it sounds really stupid when you type it out but trust me it was a really awesome show. They play on wed or thurs at the Brew Pub.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad....it brings back memories of my beloved Boardwalk.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IŽll second this. It might sound lame, but "Prince" is quite good, and the chick is hot.

If you are a child of the 80s, or a Prince fan, you will likely enjoy their show. Purple Reign schedule

Monte Carlo also has better rooms than the Luxor, the beer from the brew pub is worth checking out, and you can get that beer in the poker room.

The poker room is nice looking, but high hand jackpots and mini-blind structure seems to attract tight locals.

I would not try to get the poker room rate at MC because I would not want to play in their room a lot. But it is better than the Luxor.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:16 PM

The Real Prince is at the Rio now. No need to see a cover when you can get the real thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:09 PM

I have stayed at both, and much preferred the Monte Carlo. Aside from the Poker room at the Monte Carlo being much better, I thought the rooms were nicer, the clientelle higher class, the Brew Pub was nice, better location and much friendlier staff.