Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 PM

Default NYC - Locking threads

TT,

I understand your desire to protect the New York scene and the various rooms. I even understand your stance about the owner's wishes, and how they take a great deal of risk.

However, we all come to this board to get information. If a place plans to reopen, and has been robbed twice, dont I have a right to know that? By patronizing the room, I'm taking risks too.

Not trying to give you a hard time, really. But I wish you wouldnt be so quick to lock a thread like that as it's information I'd like to know to take into account whether I want to patronize a place.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: NYC - Locking threads

anybody know any med stakes limit games in nyc
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 PM

If the owner of the club does not want his business discussed here, and you insist it should be, I don't think he would want you as a customer.

I surely wouldn't.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the owner of the club does not want his business discussed here, and you insist it should be, I don't think he would want you as a customer.

I surely wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with anything? I would think the purpose of this board is for players to network and exchange information. Not to shill for the local cardrooms.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:13 PM

It's my business too if I'm paying $5/an half to play and someone sticks a gun in my face, no?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's my business too if I'm paying $5/an half to play and someone sticks a gun in my face, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple. Go to the club. Tell the owner that you insist on discussing his private, illegal club in a public forum. Maybe even review his new security arrangemets in a public forum.

You won't have to pay the $5.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM

A room got robbed? Huh? WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:09 AM

2 + 2 is a privately owned site. You don't have a "right" to anything the owners don't want posted here. If you don't like the policies of this site, you should find a site whose policies are more to your liking or start your own site.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 + 2 is a privately owned site. You don't have a "right" to anything the owners don't want posted here. If you don't like the policies of this site, you should find a site whose policies are more to your liking or start your own site.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. But the club owners dont have a "right" to have their information protected either. That is TT's decision.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

I understand your desire to protect the New York scene and the various rooms. I even understand your stance about the owner's wishes, and how they take a great deal of risk.

However, we all come to this board to get information. If a place plans to reopen, and has been robbed twice, dont I have a right to know that? By patronizing the room, I'm taking risks too.

Not trying to give you a hard time, really. But I wish you wouldnt be so quick to lock a thread like that as it's information I'd like to know to take into account whether I want to patronize a place.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) We are protecting more than just NYC games, we are protecting games anywhere in any state where the law is not favorable for the owner of the game or private club. This would include places such as Boston, Florida, Texas, and any other state where players are being prosecuted and game owners are losing their source of income.

2) Private clubs are private for a reason. You can't patronize a private club without the permission of the owner, so the argument that information should be made available here is invalid, although I actually do see your point of view and think its valid. But imagine if you owned a card club and it was raided in part because of information that they found at 2+2... would your opinion change? I know from first hand experience when I was caught in a raid that the police were monitoring Craig's List and 2+2 for information, the detective literally told me so during my interview (every player was interview, photographed, and their ID recorded and checked for outstanding warrants).

3) Normally if too much information is released about a club in this forum without the owners permission then I remove the thread completely. In the case of the Salami scenario, if you notice I just locked it as a precaution but allowed it to remain because there was nothing that horrible in the thread. I'll continue to follow this strategy unless it gets out of control. But the best bet is to just avoid the topic so we don't unintentionally hurt anyone in real life.

4) About the robbery, there are a few facts that most of you may not be aware of.
* The room has been open in one form or another for more than 40 years. There have been many owners, it is legally a social club.
* The room has experienced much more than just 2 robberies I have been told. Last year people were hurt.

5) This policy was in part the reason why I was selected as a mod for this forum, I made my intentions clear in advance and received support for it.

In closing I know this can be frustrating for those who want information about private games and turn to the 2+2 B&M forums for this info, I actually do feel for the people who cannot seem to get on "the inside". If the laws of our land were changed to declare poker a legal game of skill of course we probably wouldn't have this concern, but for now I hope you all understand that this policy actually protects us more than it hurts us.

thanks for your support...

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]