View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Incapable of love?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I heard a quote that sounds foolish but it's absolutely true. You can lose a lot of money chasing women but you'll never lose a woman chasing money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is a fairly common thing with lawyers and other professionals. That's probably one of the reasons why their rate of drug abuse and alcoholism is so high, as is their rate of heart disease and heart attacks.

Scenario goes: Newly minted laywer spends a ton of time at work at law firm, as new hires are expected to do, and to learn the ropes. This goes on for a couple years, and then he spends a ton of hours at work so he can make partner or junior partner, so his career can really go somewhere and he can pull in some serious bucks. Let's say he makes his partnership/junior partnership. Then he needs to spend tons of time to get himself a job higher up the partnership ladder, maybe one day even to managing partner of some section of his firm. This can go on for decades.

Meanwhile, at home, wifey enjoys the money, but not so much the decades of rarely seeing her husband, and often seeing him only when he's tired and really stressed out. She more or less raises the kids in his absence. After a while she's lonely, bored, and bitter. The only thing she really enjoys in the relationship anymore is the lifestyle. Plus she realizes she's not getting any younger, and if she's going to jump ship, she needs to do it while she's still got a chance of attracting someone and the kids are still around to draw support money and let her keep the house.

Wife divorces hubby and keeps the house, kids, one of the cars, part of the 401k and other assets, etc. Her lifestyle is intact, but now her life has a chance, she figures, to be interesting again, maybe this time with a partner who's not just a crabby sloth who can't stop arguing.

So hubby has spent 15, 20, 30 years chasing money, in his mind perhaps for his family. What family? He never used to see them and now they're gone anyway. Time to rent an apartment, hit the bottle and buy a sportscar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Blarg, you sound like an idiot here. There are plenty, if not a majority of successful businessmen who have happy marriages. Don't believe all the crap you watch on the Lifetime network.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the one who sounds like an idiot. First, I said professionals, not businessmen. Second, I said something was fairly common, not universal. Third, my grandfather's a laywer, my dad's a lawyer, most of his friends were lawyers when I was growing up, and I've worked in different law offices for years. Fourth, I don't really watch any television, either, and when I do, it's PBS or the discovery channel or the history channel. I've heard of the Lifetime channel, but never watched it. You'd know more than me what's on it.

You struck out on every count.