Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Unity and Trinity Contradiction (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=1148)

BCPVP 12-30-2005 07:07 AM

Re: Unity and Trinity Contradiction

Another example: I can be a father, a son, and a brother all at the same time but I am still one person.

Bork 12-30-2005 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another example: I can be a father, a son, and a brother all at the same time but I am still one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but then the father, the Son, and the brother are identical, ie they are not distinct men. They are one, man not 3.

BCPVP 12-30-2005 07:17 AM

But those are three distinct roles or relationships. Yet they can exist within one person all at the same time. Me, the father, is the same as me, the son, is the same as me, the brother. Yet each role is distinct from the others.

Bork 12-30-2005 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But those are three distinct roles or relationships. Yet they can exist within one person all at the same time. Me, the father, is the same as me, the son, is the same as me, the brother. Yet each role is distinct from the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are equivocating on the meaning of, a father, a son, and a brother. That is you are using it with two different meanings.

If you mean you the father as the ROLE you play then yes you do have three distinct roles but they are not identical to you. As Texas is not identical to the USA.

If you mean father, son, and brother to simply be different NAMES for you. Then you are one thing with three names. In this case the father the son, and the brother, are identical. Just like the pacific ocean and the largest ocean on earth are identical. They are not distinct things.

BCPVP 12-30-2005 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you mean you the father as the ROLE you play then yes you do have three distinct roles but they are not identical to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not all that well versed in Christian theology, but I don't think Christian doctrine says that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are identical. If they were, why would there be any need for one over the other? If they are to be distinct, then they can't really be identical, can they? They each have their roles to play.

MidGe 12-30-2005 10:08 AM

The contradictions blow my mind. I don't understand why xians just don't accept that their beliefs are irrational and leave it at that.

Trying to make it sound logical/rational doesn't enhance the position at all, rather the opposite. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Borodog 12-30-2005 01:05 PM

Read the article linked in the Viruses of the Mind thread and you'll understand it perfectly well. Religions with crazy illogical irrational impossible tenets are actually selected for, not against.

luckyme 12-30-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Religions with crazy illogical irrational impossible tenets are actually selected for, not against.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the worst things that could happen to a religion is to be 'almost believable'. That would bring it to close to being a legitimate object of doubt. Keeping a huge 'leap' between rationality and belief clarifies that "rationality doesn't apply here".

It's related to the rebel stunts teenagers pull, it's a way of expressing "your values don't apply to me."

luckyme

NotReady 12-30-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hence, orthodox christians believe in an impossible God. Hence, the God they believe in doesn't exist

[/ QUOTE ]

I started to answer this and decided to do some brief research on the net first to check my vocabulary. After just one search the shallowness of your post was so obvious I decided to post this instead. Much cyber-ink would be saved if people would learn of a tool called google. If you did a little research and then posted something serious you might have the makings of a worthwhile thread. I have no desire to spoon feed you that which is childishly simple to discover on your own.

KingNeo 12-30-2005 02:45 PM

God is not a him. Stop giving "him" human characteristics, it is obnoxious.