Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Default the mind of the atheist

I am a theist, and often struggle, and in the past have even agonized and been tormented, over my religious beliefs, philosophical questions, etc...

i am curious how the standard, run of the mill 2 + 2 atheist (perhaps no such thing!) thinks about such question? are most of you sure that 'God' doesnt exist? or is that simply a 'meaningless question'? do any of you struggle and agonize, etc over such questions to the point of extreme disturbance, etc?? personally, considering the present state of my mind and its interpretation of all the info I've taken in, analyzed, etc, I am strongly convinced that a Supreme Being exists, and find it nearly impossible that I could be convinced otherwise. yet at the same time, i have often struggled with doubts about the particulars of my beliefs, etc, and often this in the past has caused me severe mental anguish and discomfort. i am curious whether many atheists have suffered through the same types of emotions?

if i were to picture myself as an atheist (which perhaps is a meaningless hypo b/c clearly i then would not be myself, but someone wholly distinct), i want to say i'd agonize over my disbelief, fearing constantly that i may be wrong and spend eternity in hell. do ANY of you feel that way? I do not see how you could not.

In my view, the primary reason for the utter lack of such concerns (according to what i read here, etc) is because of a vast overconfidence, and even arrogance, in the 'knowledge' we as humans possess in the 21st century. it seems that despite the recent close of a horrific century, which, i believe, consisted of more human death and suffering than all of that combined in the past history of the earth, man foolishly and pridefully hangs on to an ever increasing optimism and vast overestimation of his own intellectual abilities and those of society as a whole. i am not anti-technology or anything that extreme (although it is interesting food for thought- i.e. would humanity as a whole be better off the automobile was never invented - maybe not a good one, but ?'s to that effect). but i am quite realistic. man is clearly not 'good'.

anyway, i am rambling now. good morning.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: the mind of the atheist

[ QUOTE ]
i have often struggled with doubts about the particulars of my beliefs, etc, and often this in the past has caused me severe mental anguish and discomfort. i am curious whether many atheists have suffered through the same types of emotions?

[/ QUOTE ]

100% sure there is no god. Never struggled with it, never had any mental conflicts whatsoever. Very happy and content in my belief (or non-belief if you will).
Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 PM

that seems ludicrous. i dont believe any intelligent person could simply have always been '100%' certain there is no God, without any serious thought, study, etc.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 PM

What you say isn't ludicrous. Just compare my opinion of being scared of a vengeful God as being scared of a vengeful carrot that lives at the bottom of my garden. Factually equivalent, possibly real, not at all likely.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that seems ludicrous. i dont believe any intelligent person could simply have always been '100%' certain there is no God, without any serious thought, study, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I didn't give it any thought. I looked at the evidence for god (didn't find any except for other peoples' word that there is one) and against (all the science I had learned up to that point). I was about 7 years old. Already had some knowledge of physics, biology, etc (my dad was a physics professor). Made my decision and haven't wavered one bit since. Continued my education in science and it only solidified my convictions.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am curious how the standard, run of the mill 2 + 2 atheist (perhaps no such thing!) thinks about such question? are most of you sure that 'God' doesnt exist? or is that simply a 'meaningless question'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't detected any 'standard' theist or non-theist on this forum or outside. It is a meaningless question in this sense - I don't antagonize over whether 3 drunken alien college students from Alpa Centura exist and created life on earth as their engineering prank ( since Alpha exists and a more intelligent lifeform is easy to visualize, this is cannot be ruled out, but until there is evidence why take it on).

I approach life as it approaches me. I don't 'take on' a belief just because it makes me feel good or any 'personalized' cause. It either fits the evidence or it doesn't. I accept what it leads to. no agony, no twinges. Feel very fulfilled, morally, socially, intellectually ..whatever.

luckyme
Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 PM

that is not a legitimate analogy
Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In my view, the primary reason for the utter lack of such concerns (according to what i read here, etc) is because of a vast overconfidence, and even arrogance, in the 'knowledge' we as humans possess in the 21st century.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you totally buy that, best to find a theory that at least fits the facts, Historical cultures of atheists ( look around world history before answering), etc.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:07 PM

why believe in what 'fits' the evidence? why pursue what appears 'true' to you? why not purposely believe in only falsehoods, if they would make you feel even more 'fulfilled'?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 PM

of course it did