Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Suicide

I understand Christians having a problem with it, since their belief is that no one has a right to determine who dies or when they die other than God. But if you are not bogged down by such beliefs, is there anything inherently wrong with suicide?

Death does not scare me, but I admit that the process of dying does. I don't want to die in a bed of old age or disease. I prefer to go out on my own terms. A free fall, failed parachute, perishing at 29,000 ft on Mount Everest, etc.

This might sound like frivelous banter, but I'm very serious about it. If told I only have 6 months to live, I don't want to wait around for death, but instead, seek it out. Do I have this right? Can anyone point out a moral problem as long as I don't hurt anyone else?

And even if you don't feel so adventurous, what about assisted suicide? If someone wants to go out a little earlier and avoid a lot of suffering, what is so wrong with that?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Suicide

Tim Leary's book, Death and Dying explores just this issue in very eloquent form. I pretty much agree with you. I feel my life is my own and thus I should be able to do with it what the hell I want. If my standard of living drops below a certain point with no reasonable expectation of improvement, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to off myself in the most exciting way possible. Go out with a bang, if you will.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:13 PM

I don't see a problem.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:18 PM

I dont have a problem with it, unless it will adversely effect your family members, which I think you qualified already.

Personally, the only qualification I wish to have about dying is that I do it fulfilled. Once that's taken care of, I just hope it doesn't really hurt.

Not to mention that I hope Im wrong about afterlife.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And even if you don't feel so adventurous, what about assisted suicide? If someone wants to go out a little earlier and avoid a lot of suffering, what is so wrong with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with it, moreover it is the right thing to do.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:28 PM

I suspect I chose how I'll die when I ordered this quarter pounder with cheese.

luckyme
Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you are not bogged down by such beliefs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not bogged down at all. I just believe God's teachings that life is a prescious gift that should be protected from natural conception to natural death. And the courageious example of those struggling as best and cheerfully as they can with terminal illnesses should show others in good health but who are depressed to the point of considering suicide, that life is worth living and fighting for, not just for oneself, but also for others. That last 6 months you talk about, while a trial for you, might mean a lot to your loved ones. And even to you if you were receptive to God's grace.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might sound like frivelous banter, but I'm very serious about it. If told I only have 6 months to live, I don't want to wait around for death, but instead, seek it out. Do I have this right? Can anyone point out a moral problem as long as I don't hurt anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is suicide against the law where you live? Some believe you have a moral obligation to obey the laws of the state.

Stu
Old 01-07-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm not sure, but if suicide IS against he law, why should it be? I see no reason for it, but maybe I'm overlooking things.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just believe God's teachings that life is a prescious gift that should be protected from natural conception to natural death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't God's followers done more than their fair share of quite unnatural life ending over the years. The only difference is that the victims of the crusades, salem witch trials, etc. did not volunteer for their lifes to be ended.