Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Two Stations Won\'t Air \"Book Of Daniel\"

Sigh...

"Conservative Christian groups have condemned the depiction of Jesus as blasphemous, accusing the writers of portraying Christ as tolerant of sin in talks with the priest.

Uh oh... A tolerant Jesus? BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

Man... I hope the show is a huge hit. Cause I love watching extremists get their panties in a twist and make issues about nothing.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Two Stations Won\'t Air \"Book Of Daniel\"

This seems more likely a publicity stunt to get people to watch. I got a forwarded e-mail this mourning from the “American Family Association” urging me to call my local NBC station and tell them to not run the show... basically because it is “blasphemy”.
Well, I had seen the commercials for this show. It didn’t look offensive to me... it just didn’t look entertaining. I had no intentions of watching this show. I am sure NBC knew there was little interest for this show, and decided it needed some “buzz” to get it off the ground. And if you tell conservative Christians that you are planning on blasphemy of their Lord... of coarse they are gonna get upset. And thus, this show will have better ratings. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “American Family Association” was created recently by NBC executives.
I might actually watch now, if I’m not doing other things. See, it worked. My expectations are pretty low, though.
PS. If my “conspiracy theory” is wrong, and NBC is not behind this... they should have been. It was a great plan to improve ratings!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 PM

This new television series, which begins tonight, was just discussed on the O'reilly Factor. John Kasich was filling in for O'reilly. It's about an Episcopal priest who's addicted to vicodan, who's daughter smokes and sells pot and who's son is having sex with the bishop's daughter.
Kasich opined that the show will probably be trash and Christian bashing. The Washington Post critic said the show tries hard to be offensive. Kasich's guest, a person from T.V. guide magazine said that his magazine's reviewer's liked it and this negative controversy will do wonders for the shows ratings.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM

The real problem is that nobody is forced to watch the show, but some would like to force people not to watch it...

Ah well! This is when I object to interference by religion and why I think militant atheism has a need to make itself heard.

It is the thin edge of fascism or totalitorianism.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 PM

They should be able to play the blasphemous Christ show, as long as Christians can air a show that proclaims things such as: its ok to hate gay people and make their lives as miserable as legally possible because their sin cries to heaven for vengeance.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:44 PM

I have not seen it, but from the review I thought it was about episcopalian priest, their children, drugs etc...

All thing that have been in the news in a much more flagrant and at time unpalatable way as acts performed by various clergy.

Of course, episcopalian, must be the true ones, and their members could not be guilty of misdeeds.

I have seem plenty of shows where the vilain was an homosexual. No problem with that, as long as it doesn't say all homosexuals are vilains or that homosexuality of itself is an issue.

Always impressed by the bitterness of religious apologists. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I guess it is because they know they can't resist sins without a fear element. You could think that all of them, lol, are predisposed then.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 PM

Hatred feels good.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They should be able to play the blasphemous Christ show, as long as Christians can air a show that proclaims things such as: its ok to hate gay people and make their lives as miserable as legally possible because their sin cries to heaven for vengeance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed that show. When does it air?

As for Book Of Daniel... I thought it was ok, but by the end, I decided it was just a little too daytime soaps for me. By time the old man was having an affair with the old church lady, I was rolling my eyes... they just tried to hard in my opinion.
I didn’t really find it offensive though, & still think the whole controversy thing was just a publicity stunt. I just don’t think the show is good enough to live too long past the hype.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:47 AM

I've seen Pat Robertson's show. So such a thing can be proclaimed on the airwaves.

I hand't heard about the show until tonight, when I saw some blurbs on it when I accidentally walked in on Extra or one of those silly shows Mrs. Fox watches. It seemed entertaining. Would seem like a better movie than a series, but I like Aidan Quinn. Too bad his father isn't still around to play the Devil. That would be great TV.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The real problem is that nobody is forced to watch the show, but some would like to force people not to watch it...

Ah well! This is when I object to interference by religion and why I think militant atheism has a need to make itself heard.

It is the thin edge of fascism or totalitorianism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you felt the same when the gay groups didn't want anybody to be able to choose to watch the Dr. Laura Show. That would have been a good time for militant atheism to stand up to those facists.