Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Default tptk v lag with poll

villain is a spewy overbetting lag. hes been overbetting with all sorts of rubbish an a few good hands to. ive only played one hand with him so far were i reraised his btn open with AQ, he called an min raised my cb on a K high flop which i folded to so he may think i can be pushed about.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) converter

SB ($70.23)
BB ($102.70)
UTG ($334.27)
MP ($28.33)
Hero ($97)
Button ($188.79)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($9.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($9.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($49.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $75</font>, Hero?

additional comments on my general line appreciated as well as what to do on the river.

paul
Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: tptk v lag with poll

And you checked the flop because?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:39 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Bet the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

*Edit: I voted call because I enjoy calling overbets, seriously, in my experience I'd much rather call an overbet than a 1/2 pot-2/3 pot bet, maybe because they are so often complete cheese. If I call turn I'm calling river. Oh yeah, bet the flop.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:43 PM

After checking the flop and call turn, Villian may put you on a busted draw and may be trying to get you off your hand. I'd call and puke it Villian has a 4.

And yes, bet the flop!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM

Given your read, there's no way you can check the flop, call the turn then fold the river. You have to call.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:13 PM

I call because that's what you wanted by checking the flop. Don't die on your read now.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM

do u guys never check the flop on dry boards v lags?

i checked because villain is most likely drawing very thin an lags love to fire the turn an river after you've checked the flop. with no read or against a normal or passive villain i always bet this flop but i like to mix some checks in v lags. also say i had JJJ(or just a monster in general on a safe flop) villain is likely to have nothing so i wanna check an see if he can catch something on the turn but i cant do this if im only doing it with big hands.

so i guess in summary to balance my checks with monsters an to invite the lag to fire with whatever rubbish he has. obviously as ive invited him to bet i need to be calling. it was the size of the turn/river bets that made me stop and think.

paul
Old 02-24-2006, 05:23 PM

I may check if OOP hoping to c/r the lag. But in this case, your hand is not good enough to give the lag a chance to improve for free.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 PM

Now that you explained your rationale, I'm on board with the flop check. I would say that it accomplished exactly what you expected it to.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:45 PM

I am sure some of you guys read the Mid Stakes a good amount. The other day there was a really good post about this type of hand. TWP was saying that checking the flop with TPTK can be a great move. Although I know this is a tool more used at higher than SSNL, I think this is an example of why it can work. A LAG here is gonna bet the heck out of almost anything, could he have a 4 or some wierd str8, of course but you showed him weakness and he is jumping on it. I would be interested to see what others would think of repopping the turn... but I think I am definitely calling the overbet with the read that you have.