Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Lindgrens WPT book is horrible

i have to say im really disappointed in the book the wpt/erick lindgren put our recently "making the QPT Final table".

It supposed to be a guide on how to succeed at big no limit holdem tournaments, and they brought it out just in time for Xmas.

I respect him as a player and the success he has had, so i thought i'd read the book to understand how he approaches these event.

I swear the book is only about 120 pages long, with maybe 20 pages worth of useful poker analysis and hand examples, and even they are mostly common sense or knowledge.

Other than that it looks and if they quickly put together some half ass poker book, slapped a big name on there and the WPT logo, and i guess they hope people who don't know much about poker but recognize the WPt logo might buy it as a gift for someone else who's into poker.

at least harrington put in tons of work, situational analysis, positional and all, with tons of well described hands and background logic into his book that players can get something out of it.

This book is pure propaganda to take advantage of the poker boom without putting much into it.

I am disappointed in erick....
Old 02-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Lindgrens WPT book is horrible

Nah .. it is just a book on basic strategy for noobs. And it fullfills this job fine and in the process is an easy read and cheap

You expected too much, but that's your mistake [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 PM

and you thought this would be good..why?? please explain why you were waiting for THIS book to get serious with your reading.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have to say im really disappointed in the book the wpt/erick lindgren put our recently "making the QPT Final table".

It supposed to be a guide on how to succeed at big no limit holdem tournaments, and they brought it out just in time for Xmas.

I respect him as a player and the success he has had, so i thought i'd read the book to understand how he approaches these event.

I swear the book is only about 120 pages long, with maybe 20 pages worth of useful poker analysis and hand examples, and even they are mostly common sense or knowledge.

Other than that it looks and if they quickly put together some half ass poker book, slapped a big name on there and the WPT logo, and i guess they hope people who don't know much about poker but recognize the WPt logo might buy it as a gift for someone else who's into poker.

at least harrington put in tons of work, situational analysis, positional and all, with tons of well described hands and background logic into his book that players can get something out of it.

This book is pure propaganda to take advantage of the poker boom without putting much into it.

I am disappointed in erick....

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so bad about it? If you got at least one thing out of it, then it can't be that bad. What were you expecting? It was going to turn you into Erick Lindgren or something?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 PM

have you read it?

im not expecting to be the next poker star after reading it, but christ a little more input would have been appreciated.

If you think its great, thats fine too. For me, i was disappointed.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:15 AM

I was just the opposite. I didn't think it would be all that good, but it was cheap, so I picked it up. It is short and looks thrown together and there is a lot of wasted pages, but I still thought it was really good. The stuff Lindgren wrote was good. I don't know how much it will help a noob, but it was good. Here is an amazon review I thought was really well written:

This book is not a beginners book. If you're looking for a list of which hands to play, basic odds or old war stories from the likes of Doyle & Co, go find other books that are closer to your level of interest in the game. Eric's book is indeed a manual that's very deep in its content. Most of the folks who read it won't really even understand what he's trying to say. That's not to say he's not a great writer (cuz he is); it's more that he's simply speaking to you as if you're already a great player. A lot of books have quotes about them that say something like, "this will take your game to the next level" and then end up rehashing the same basic tools that all their competition books explain. But this book truly does notch up your game, helping you think of hands and the players behind them in a much more complete fashion.

Eric's style of solid poker playing is much more than mere agression. It's understanding when agression is correct, and when it's not. A number of the ideas in this book are brand new, including tips on how to size people up before even sitting down, why and how to keep the pots small (he suggests not overbetting), and so much more.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just the opposite. I didn't think it would be all that good, but it was cheap, so I picked it up. It is short and looks thrown together and there is a lot of wasted pages, but I still thought it was really good. The stuff Lindgren wrote was good. I don't know how much it will help a noob, but it was good. Here is an amazon review I thought was really well written:

This book is not a beginners book. If you're looking for a list of which hands to play, basic odds or old war stories from the likes of Doyle & Co, go find other books that are closer to your level of interest in the game. Eric's book is indeed a manual that's very deep in its content. Most of the folks who read it won't really even understand what he's trying to say. That's not to say he's not a great writer (cuz he is); it's more that he's simply speaking to you as if you're already a great player. A lot of books have quotes about them that say something like, "this will take your game to the next level" and then end up rehashing the same basic tools that all their competition books explain. But this book truly does notch up your game, helping you think of hands and the players behind them in a much more complete fashion.

Eric's style of solid poker playing is much more than mere agression. It's understanding when agression is correct, and when it's not. A number of the ideas in this book are brand new, including tips on how to size people up before even sitting down, why and how to keep the pots small (he suggests not overbetting), and so much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

People play way too tight early in live poker tournaments. Perhaps it's because you are sitting with a group of strangers. Perhaps because of the gap concept. In any event, Erick's book was the first to describe the loose way to play early tournament poker that some of the better pros utilize (Negreanu, etc).

IMO you have to see a lot of flops early when it is cheap and the bad players are still around, particularly in position. You have to create the image that you could hold any two cards at any time.

Example: I limped 96 offsuit on the button in Biloxi last year when a big stack limped in early position, and another big stack was in the big blind. It was an implied odds/position play. Flop comes 666. Turn is K and river is A. Checked to river, when open limper bets, and I raise. He calls "to keep me honest".

A few hands later, I move all in on the flop with JT on a board of T97 with two spades. A guy with TT99 thinks awhile, and folds, citing the 96 hand earlier as his rationale that I must have flopped the straight. The 96 hand created an image that allowed me to move someone off top 2 pair!

Meanwhile, the guy that "kept me honest" went on tilt and busted 15 minutes later.

Another Biloxi example. UTG raises in the first level to 3xBB with AK. There are 2 callers, and I call on the button with Q7s. Flop is A77. He bets. Folded to me, I call. Turn is blank. He bets, I call. River is blank. He checks, I go all in, he calls.

As he was leaving, he was calling me a fish for playing Q7 yada yada, but IMO he is the fish for committing his whole stack with 1 pair early in a tournament out of position, especially with two 7s on the board.

Anyway, Lindgren's book is worth the money if you plan to play live tournaments.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I would bother buying a book with that title, but that's just me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 PM

I thought it was a good book. It was a lot different than any other poker book because of his style of play. Please realize this book costs like $10. It is well worth the $. I have done very well in MTTs online using his strategy. I previously struggled playing MTTs. I think his style of play in MTTs is definitely a lot more profitable than Harrington's. Don't get me wrong, I think Harrington's books were the best poker books ever written & I can't wait for the 3rd one but I believe the super aggressive style is the way to go in MTTs.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an amazon review I thought was really well written:

Eric's book is indeed a manual that's very deep in its content.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think the book was bad or anything, but one thing it's NOT is deep. I think the Amazon review you quoted is a bit much.