Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 03:05 AM

Default A Miracle?

So already they are calling it a miracle that 12 miners survived being trapped in a cave for almost 40 hours. It was against all predictions. The carbon dioxide levels exceeded 3 times the limit for safely sustaining life. But there's one problem...

There were 13 miners in the cave. It appears one of the miners didn't make it and his his family was not blessed with the same miracle his 12 comrades were.

What I want to know is how on earth does a man of the cloth (or any Christian for that matter), explain that to his family and more particularily to his children, while the rest celebrate their miracle?

Maybe this doesn't belong in the philosophy forum, since it doesn't concern a philosophical problem. But I have to ask the question nevertheless to someone who understands Christianity. I think publicly claiming a miracle and shouting "Praise the Lord!", while one family suffers terribly is downright disgusting!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:25 AM

Default Re: A Miracle?

Actually, according to cnn.com they messed up and it's actually 12 that died and 1 guy that's in critical condition. This is a very serious screw up.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:28 AM

A few hours after the event an expert was on TV saying that if the miners followed procedure and were able to barricade a safe spot, they can last quite a while. Sounds like that happened, one wouldn't think that routine mining procedure would be a miracle but, what the hey, they are in short supply these millenia.

Yes, I asked if somebody on CNN would say, "Oh, and thank god for causing the explosion and killing the one guy and allowing the 12 to get back to where they were 2 days ago safe and sound after some much needed excitement in their life."

shucks,gawwwwlieee, luckyme
Old 01-04-2006, 04:59 AM

Wow, terrible what those families must be going through. What a dangerous job. Think I'll let this thread die. No pun intended.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:14 AM

So mocking God and religious belief made an insensitive fool of you. How appropriate.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 AM

First, I most certainly did NOT mock God.

Secondly, I maintain that shouting "Praise the Lord" over your own personal joy, while other's around you are in agony over their loss is absolutely dispicable!!!!!!!!!!

Thirdly, I did not make a fool of myself. I'll mock that forever if that's your Christian belief.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:29 AM

And oldie but goodie rhetorical tactic. Accuse the accuser of what you stand accused of.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:34 AM

People can survive amazing situations. Examples are people who've gone without water for over 2 weeks , submerged in a frozen lake for over 40 minutes, both legs cut off and no medical attention for hours, surviving massive envenomation (enough to kill ten men) from multiple strikes from a large taipan/rattlesnake without medical attention (but getting very sick).

The medical wisdom simply doesn't apply to everyone because every situation is different as is every person's constitution. These things are not miracles at all.

Not to mention the fact that God got them in this situation in the first place [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nice one, God.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 AM

I read his post as being similar to one I posted months ago. It is insensitive at the very least, to publicly attribute good fortune to God if there were tragedies associated with the same event. You disagree with that?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I want to know is how on earth does a man of the cloth (or any Christian for that matter), explain that to his family

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a mockery of God. He was merely pointing out the gross insensitivity of certain Christians.