Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Default an aggro bankroll management system..how high is the risk of ruin?

at the moment im doing my regular grind of moving up every 50buyins on stars, and soon to be fulltilt (rakeback $$$) as soon as you can read the player names in shrunk down resized windows instead of it being all unclear and blurry. but i heard the games on party were really good.

i had 400$ lying around on my neteller so i thought id have a go of building a bankroll from scratch on party just during free time. My system is this.

- Deposit 400$, = 4buyins at 100NL
- Lose 1 buyin, you got 300$, move down to 50NL where you now have 6buyins, move back up to 100NL when you have 400$ again.
- So basically...move up every 4buyins, move down everytime you lose 1buyin.

So far ive managed to get up to 7buyins at 200NL, but i lost it all on badbeats/coolers and am down to 300$ and will now go back to 50NL until i have 400$ again. Just a little experiment. All i gotta do is run good eventually and ill be playing pretty big in no time.

What is the ROR on this kinda system? Aslong as you keep moving down it seems like you should never go broke..

what you think?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: an aggro bankroll management system..how high is the risk of ruin?

LOL... with this bankroll you should be playing 10NL dude
Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM

y here?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 AM

shortstack 10/20 nl
Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM

move down...it's not a good thing when ur BR affects ur play...and it seems ur changing limits often...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shortstack 10/20 nl

[/ QUOTE ]
BINGO!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aslong as you keep moving down it seems like you should never go broke..

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Its quite funny how people dont read posts before responding.

[ QUOTE ]
LOL... with this bankroll you should be playing 10NL dude

[/ QUOTE ]

400$ isn't my whole pokerbankroll. It is the amount i have deposited on party as an experiment to try and reach high limit games very quickly while risking only 400$. my normal game is 200nl, and i am strictly moving up every time i have 50buyins for the next level. i am soon going to be playing 400nl.

[ QUOTE ]
y here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked here because i figured the variance forum might have some idea on the likelihood of the variance destroying the 400$ bankroll...ie. risk of ruin.

[ QUOTE ]
shortstack 10/20 nl

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be a joke, but the reason I am not doing this is because it basically puts the whole 400$ bankroll at risk in one hand. This isnt the point of "bankroll management"(see topic title). By moving up every 4 buyins and moving down when you lose 1, you now have 6buyins for the level below which means your bankroll has some kind of tolerance for setup/badbeat type hands, and allows you to have a few more shots before moving down another level in limits.

[ QUOTE ]
move down...it's not a good thing when ur BR affects ur play...and it seems ur changing limits often...

[/ QUOTE ]

At one point in my original post did i see that my play is being affected? And yes, it does seem as if i am changing limits often...that is the entire point of this experiment...to take shots at the high stakes quickly, and if i run bad and lose a buyin, rebuild at lower stakes and take another shot quickly, then run good move up move up ...then m ove down one limit etc etc. Hence the topic title "aggressive bankroll management" ie..changing limits quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
i like this

[/ QUOTE ]
Sarcasm is often lost in message boards. Could you seriously tell me if you do or dont like this please. Obviously when i say "never go broke"...that is an exaggeration. A more accurate thing to say would be "it seems like the likelihood of going broke is relatively low". I dont know how high/low ....hence the reason I am created this thread ..to ask the risk of ruin. I guess you need some more information so lets say:

You have an SD/100 of 40.
At every limit (obviously unrealisitc since your winrate will drop from limit to limit) you have a winrate of 5ptbb/100.

Whats my ROR? I know this is a very aggro system. This is purely an experiment...and no point wouold i have riskmy whole bankroll on such an aggressive system. I am VERY conservative with my br management at the moment, and i am envious of these people who move up/down every 20buyins and how fast they can get to high limits like Baluga etc. So it hought id create a seperate bankroll from scratch on party INDEPENDANT OF MY CURRENT POKER BANKROLL ON POKERSTARS..as an experiment to see how far i can get.

Anyway...thx(!) for the extremely useful replies so far.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM

I have done the same thing when funding an account except I put in $500 ininitially, only 3 table (initially), and won't play any lower than 100NL. Other times I've just started with $1000 and gone right to 200NL. Also - I have no aspirations to keep moving up so I'm really just trying to get a reasonable role for 200NL (with perhaps one 400NL table out of 4 open if the game looks good). Sometimes it doesn't work (I bust out at the 100NL level), but usually it does. I take this approach because it is a challenge and I don't play very well any lower than 100NL.

Lucky
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 AM

if you strictly stick with the system and never play a limit you have less than 3 buyins for your ROR is basically 0 (not quite since you can't move down infinitely, eventually you'll reach the lowest stakes

there are a few problems tho, first you might be forced to move down several levels in a short time which isn't fun.. also you can't really multitable without taking on a much higher ROR