Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 11:48 PM

Default If I was an atheist, and...

my life was not going well, and the damage seemed irreparable, wouldn't suicide be the best answer?

It definitely would not be a bad answer, whether your life was great or horrible. Why not avoid all the heartache and tragedy of this world, and simply begin your 'extinction' a bit prematurely? I dont know if I'd have the 'courage' to do it if i were an atheist, but perhaps it would be the best option. Certainly it would not be a bad option. Fortunately Ill never have to worry about this
Old 01-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: If I was an atheist, and...

[ QUOTE ]
my life was not going well, and the damage seemed irreparable, wouldn't suicide be the best answer?

It definitely would not be a bad answer, whether your life was great or horrible. Why not avoid all the heartache and tragedy of this world, and simply begin your 'extinction' a bit prematurely? I dont know if I'd have the 'courage' to do it if i were an atheist, but perhaps it would be the best option. Certainly it would not be a bad option. Fortunately Ill never have to worry about this

[/ QUOTE ]
it would have to be a very strong 'seem' but I'd commit suicide rather than live a life of negative quality. I don't even rule out the possibility of a god but that makes no difference.

chez
Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 AM

If it's really hopeless, maybe, I dunno. I enjoy living, so suicide is a pretty bad option for me.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:45 AM

If I were a Christian... and my life wasn't going well... couldn't I just take a lot of sleeping pills, then repent and ask forgiveness, knowing that I'll soon be living in paradise?

The atheist has more motivation to make this life worth living.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 AM

but is it really better to live an 'enjoyable' life than to not exist at all? even the best of us are down at times- if you dont exist, you will NEVER feel pain
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 AM

to the first part, perhaps. to the second part, no
Old 01-03-2006, 01:32 AM

I hope you're joking because this idea is ridiculous.

I personally have avoided suicide at my weakest moments because I know it would do irreparable damage to the people who care about me.
If nothing else it would be unfair to whoever found my dead body and had to deal with it. I simply couldn't willingly do that to someone.

I may not have a belief in god, but I have a conscience.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, suicide was not a sin until the church had to make it one to curtail the growing numbers of believers who were offing themselves because the church painted such a rosy picture of the afterlife.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:51 AM

Since when is non life > life? To an athiest life can be miraculous and precious, terribly despairing, or anywhere in between.

An atheist wordview can make the lives of others more important (this is all we have - there is no God to save us or the kids in Africa, no one to ensure justice is done) or less important (there is no God to judge me, no penalty for being selfish, may as well just enjoy myself).

Atheism itself isn't the issue, or the cause of any particular worldview. As with God botherers, it's entirely a question of character. The one thing atheism does give is an uncluttered perspective with which to view to the world and your own place in it.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:27 AM

or happiness