Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Post your philosophy syllabus

I gather that there are at least a few philosophy college students frequenting this forum. Post your philosophy syllabi, so us former philosophy students have something to read.

-McGee
Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Post your philosophy syllabus

You should read my new book titled: "<u>Get A Life.</u>"

Just kidding.

In all seriousness, I found an intereting link that might have what you're looking for:

linky

(are you really expecting people to type their whole syllabus up for this thread?)
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(are you really expecting people to type their whole syllabus up for this thread?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I originally typed up my post with the phrase "This may be stupid." I guess I should've left it in.

Good point about the Google search, I hadn't thought of that. I guess the one thing that my thread might accomplish would be discussion of what the kids are studying these days.

Anyway, probably a bad thread.

-McGee
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM

Aces--let me know what areas of philosophy you're interested in and I'll give you some references.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 PM

In my intro clas, we are reading "The Problem of Evil" (ed. Marilyn Adams), Platos's "Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo," and Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics."
Old 02-01-2006, 11:59 PM

aces, in response to your question about what the kids are studying today--i think that is virtually unanswerable. of course, i am referring to the omnipresence of the internet. a young person willing to hire a competent tutor, and selecting their classes carefully, should be able to complete an undergraduate major in philosophy while putting in no more that 5 hours a week (for 4 years). the internet is not only a zillion volumne set of "cliff's notes", but w/ only a slight bit of ability, term papers are a 4 hr cut-and-paste job. of course, graduate school will bring the student's lack of real training to the surface, and that is about the time they will go into dad or mom's business, or get a job in "public administration" where people who claim they were educated as "thinkers" congregate.......b
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 AM

This post is a non sequiter. The question was about philosophy syllabi, not what people are studying today or how lazy many students are. There are many great sources for philosophy on the net. Google is your friend. Having taught some philosophy classes, I assure you that people cannot breeze through them at any reputable school. Philosopher have a friend that is foreign to many other college departments, it's called the "C." In my experience it is very easy, even with lower division classes, to separate the wheat from the chaff. Upper division classes are used to separate the good wheat from the better wheat (folks not interested in thinking and studying generally do not take upper division phil classes). By the way, philosophy students tend to score the highest marks on the medical school (MCAT) and law school (LSAT) admission tests. It is not a course of study for freerollers.

If OP has questions about recommendations in specific areas of philosophy and purpose (breadth, depth, modern trends), I'd be happy to respond.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:43 PM

if you are referring to my post, i don't think you read it in the context of a "dying"thread. i would agree, in the main, w/ your post. i try to stress in my posts in various forums that "philosophy" is an activity, not a subject. critical thinking and conceptual analysis is the "stuff" we do................b
Old 02-07-2006, 01:13 PM

I'm a newb in this forum, having lurked (and sometimes posted) in the poker forums for a few months, so I'm not familiar with your prior posts. I should have followed the train of responses more closely. I agree with your statement that philosophy is more of a process than a distinct subject. [I'll leave it at that, because this last sentence can be unpacked in many different ways--in fact, to the extent it is a subject, I would consider most science to be a branch of philosophy, which is hinted at by the prior classification of science as "natural philosophy.")
Old 02-07-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, philosophy students tend to score the highest marks on the medical school (MCAT) and law school (LSAT) admission tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Average LSAT Scores for 29 Majors with over 400 Students Taking the Exam

1994-95 rank
Major

Average score

Number of students

1991-92 rank

Average score

Number of students

1 Physics/ Math 157.6 689 1 157.2 634
2 Philosophy/ Religion 156.0 1,884 2 155.9 1,547