Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 AM

Default Flop two pair, but strong raise on the turn : (

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($60.85)
SB ($56.41)
BB ($27.10)
Hero ($49.73)
MP ($41.87)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1.25, SB (poster) calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, Button calls $1, SB calls $1.

Turn: ($7.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $9</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $19.25

No reads on the guy. I folded because I will probably face a large river bet. I might be up against AK, AJ, A4, 44, JJ, or even KK AA. He probably wouldn't have raised me with Ax and the only hands I beat that he could have raised me with is K4 or J4.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Flop two pair, but strong raise on the turn : (

You're probably not against AA/KK very few people just cc pf here especially not closing the action.

Your bet size is too small, if you bet say 6 and got raised to 18 I'd like the fold more.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 AM

I agree, you're bet sizes are begging to be raised. There are certainly situations where I'd raise someone making weak bets like that with most anything. On the flop you have a good but vulnerable hand, you absolutely have to bet the pot.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:26 AM

The only hands to be afraid of here is Q10 and KQ IMO. But I agree, you don't really know where you are since you are reading very weak with the bet sizes. Try betting 3/4 of the pot as a general rule, more if you see draws out there.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM

A flop bet this weak is just asking the villain to float, then bet (if checked to) or raise (especially since you bet a blankish turn pretty weak). Your flop bet lead to this tough decision.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM

So I should have bet maybe $3-$4 on the flop, and plan to bet 3/4 to full pot sized bets on the turn and river?

The bets would get huge! If I bet 3 on the flop and get called, that makes a pot of $13 on the turn, and then I'd have to bet $10-13 on the turn? The guy could be slowplaying me and raise me after I make another huge river bet.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I should have bet maybe $3-$4 on the flop, and plan to bet 3/4 to full pot sized bets on the turn and river?

The bets would get huge! If I bet 3 on the flop and get called, that makes a pot of $13 on the turn, and then I'd have to bet $10-13 on the turn? The guy could be slowplaying me and raise me after I make another huge river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be slowplaying you, and that happens to aggressive players sometimes. More likely, however, villain has one pair or a draw and a pair, and calls you down the whole way.

I would bet 3-4 on the flop here and 11ish on the turn. Reevaluate once the river comes.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You WANT pots to be big when you have the best hand.
You WANT opponents to have hard decisions
You WANT opponent's responses to be pure expressions of strength or weakness, so that you can tell what they mean.

Here, you have no idea.

Three dollars is a barely adequate flop bet. One is a joke. I'd put 4 in there with any cards I raised with, regardless of whether I'd hit the flop.

And with no resistance, another 8 on the turn.

If that seems like a big bet to you, you have no business playing 50NL.

You've also made a mistake is raising KJo for a dopey 2.5BB pot sweetener type bet UTG. Make it 2, or better, 2.5 to compensate for being OOP, or still yet better, fold.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If that seems like a big bet to you, you have no business playing 50NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. If you're thinking "ZOMG 10 bucks w/ this hand?!?!" you should probably move down until you're comfy with the monetary aspect of things. Don't be scared money.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:40 PM

What size is your bankroll?

This could be part of the problem if you're not confortable with big bets.