Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Information/Technology Revolution will be the end of Religion

The following are my opinions based on logic and observation.

As I previously stated religion is used/created to help humans explain the unexplainable. I think it is important to note that different religions are popular in different sectors of the world. The reason for this is that religion is used to help structure society and have a population believe in the same fundamentals to make them strong and prosperous. A population of humans working together instead of individually will develop much faster.

Thoughts such as existence and death cannot be explained.
Fear and ignorance lead to chaos and a way to prevent this is to create a set of beliefs that will alleviate fears.

Religions prey on the weak and ignorant because it still is able to control them to this day, but it is growing smaller and smaller each year.

Currently man is going through the MOST important time in human history. We are experiencing the largest information and technology boom in history.

The widespread dissemination of information is the WORST possible thing for religion. Instead of the masses being ignorant and unable to think and explain things, now they are aware of scientific facts.

Previously unexplained miracles are now being explained by science.

The internet is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing in the history of mankind.

As humans become more intelligent religion will end as it is no longer needed to explain things we cannot explain.

The internet and information will still never explain our existence or life after death, instead it will prove how much of a fairy tale religion is and why it is no longer relevant in today's society.

The concept of God will always persist as this is a completely separate subject than religion, but religion will continue to crumble as more information and technology is accessible to humans.

-The Gospel of KingNeo
Old 12-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Information/Technology Revolution will be the end of Religion

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of the masses being ignorant and unable to think and explain things, now they are aware of scientific facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wildly overoptimistic.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The internet is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing in the history of mankind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fire, tool use, language, agriculture, etc., etc., etc.?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The concept of God will always persist as this is a completely separate subject than religion, but religion will continue to crumble as more information and technology is accessible to humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides the obvious political usefulness of religion, a certain percentage of people get their 'We-They', and related, needs satisfied by religion, so cult-style religion ( like xtrianity) will always pop up for social-pyschological reasons.

luckyme
Old 12-30-2005, 08:18 PM

1) religion has a way of refuting a solid argunment until it is absolutely proven to be true (elovution).

2) then after it is proven to be true, religion has a way of adapting to it. maybe not the true diehard religious people, but most of the religious world

---in conclusion, evolution will soon be adapted by christians and they will claim that is does not refute the claims of christianity...i don't know how, but they will....right now they're still in the denial stage [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

---I think you give the average person toooooo much credit
--Maybe your predictions will come true, but I think it's further down the timeline than you think it is

or maybe not...when do you think these changes will come?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 PM

It is a gradual process.

IMO if you take a step back and look at the current information/technology boom we are going through, this is going to be the largest evolution of humans in over 1000 years.

Communication and information is currently causing humans to evolve.

I think that religion will be completely gone in 400 years. Obviously this is a rough estimate, but I see it in 4 generations.

Truthfully, it might even be sooner if our technology revolution keeps on its exponential expansion.

What I truly think will happen is religion will evolve as well. Instead of basing the beliefs on fairy tale images, it will start to ask more questions and hopefully keep an open mind.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Some aetheists refute belief in God for this very reason, knowing all the answer but one. God would never offer a full explanation, then you're not choosing him.

I think that intelligent design will soon be accepted by science. People will look back at the 'logic' they used in rationalising creation without a creator and be shocked and amazed.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that intelligent design will soon be accepted by science. People will look back at the 'logic' they used in rationalising creation without a creator and be shocked and amazed.

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as science remains, well, science, your prediction can never come true.

No matter how many times you want to repeat that it's science, Intelligent Design clearly is not. It's an attempt by religion to fill in the gaps that science has. That does not make it science.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 AM

I have many thoughts on your subject, but I have a 2 year old tugging at my pant leg. I’ll try to get back to this thread when I have mor time. For now, I will just fix what was clearly a typo on your part.
[ QUOTE ]
The internet is the SINGLE MOST UNRELIABLE thing in the history of mankind.

[/ QUOTE ]
There, that's much more accurate. You're welcome
Old 12-31-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Religions prey on the weak and ignorant because it still is able to control them to this day, but it is growing smaller and smaller each year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you actually felt yourself get smarter as you typed that.