Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
 is offline

Default The *Official* OMG I Actually Qualified for the WSOP Thread

Let the excitement venting begin...

I, for one, am beyond super excited. Enough to the point that everytime I am having an upsetting/stressful moment at work, I just imagine myself slowrolling Phil Hellmuth on Day 1B, and winking to the cameras at the featured table... and all is solved. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Vegas... WSOP... summer... drinking... going to be a blast!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Re: The *Official* OMG I Actually Qualified for the WSOP Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Let the excitement venting begin...

I, for one, am beyond super excited. Enough to the point that everytime I am having an upsetting/stressful moment at work, I just imagine myself slowrolling Phil Hellmuth on Day 1B, and winking to the cameras at the featured table... and all is solved. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Vegas... WSOP... summer... drinking... going to be a blast!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am jealous. Congrats.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just imagine myself slowrolling Phil Hellmuth on Day 1B, and winking to the cameras at the featured table...

[/ QUOTE ]

well if ur gonna do this then i definately want a peice of ur action. i figure ill at least make my money back since wont all the networks have to keep paying royalties everytime they replay this clip?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 PM

Congrats.

How about listing all the info on how you qualified (site, buyin, type of tourney, etc)
Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 PM

congrats! what site?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
 is offline

Thanks man.

Cliff's Notes: PokerStars. $33+R.

Feel free to read the extended version below...
Old 05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
How about listing all the info on how you qualified (site, buyin, type of tourney, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I didn't start this thread just to toot my horn (that was part of it, maybe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I really wanted to hear from the others in the MTT forum who are either in the process of qualifying or have already done so, and all share in the awesomeness.

In any case, here’s my qualifying story (tl;dr):

So I’m putting together IKEA furniture with my girlfriend on Sunday (yes, living with a girl really does domesticate you), when all of a sudden she gets called into the office. So I figure what better to do in the next 3 hours than to fire up a quick MTT. Now, normally I play on Party (and all my previous WSOP qualifying attempts have been through Party’s Step Challenge or their nightly $215), but for some reason I decided to check out Stars. Low and behold, starting in 3 minutes was the $33+R WSOP Main Event Qualifier. Plus, there was a chance I could run well and only spend like $33 or $63, which was really cool.

So I decide that in order to win this thing, I will need to amass an enormous stack coming out of the rebuy period. Unfortunately, I took this notion a bit too far and decided to open push almost every rotation, looking to get lucky and double up, and then basically tighten my game up once I established myself as a maniac. Well… luck wasn’t exactly on my side, and after 8 buy-ins ($243) I found myself with the same starting stack of 1,500 with only 8 minutes to go in the rebuy period. People at the table were even making fun of me. “You suck, man.” “Why don’t you just save your money and buy into the next one.” And this comment I’ll never forget. When I asked the table “Does anyone know if the first prize includes $1K of spending cash,” someone responded, “Don’t worry. There’s no way you’re winning it.” Well my luck changed when I finally started getting cards, and I began stacking people left and right. 8 minutes later, I found myself with a stack of 45,000 and sole position of the chip lead. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I quickly checked the payout structure, and much to my dismay, only 1st place was going to receive the $12K prize package with 2nd -6th getting a measly $650.

I stayed chipleader for a while, using my image to stack some more people. I probably never really left the Top 8 in chipcount throughout the entire tourney. Headed into the final table, I was 2nd in chips out of the remaining 9 players, but lost a tough hand immediately, knocking me down to 7th place. I kind of clawed my way around to hold on until there were only 5 players, but I didn’t exactly have a healthy stack. There was a maniac to my right who was constantly raising absurd amounts, and I was waiting for a good resteal opportunity. Finally, when he open-raised to 5BBs on the button, I decided to push with my 57o to a total of 20BBs. The maniac insta-called with K4o [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. The flop came no help to either one of us, and I was headed to e-rail. Before I had a chance to vomit though, a 5 peeled on the turn and I was back in it.

Later, when we were down to 4 players, another key hand came up. On my BB with 24BBs, the maniac SB open-raised to 3.5BBs and I pushed with 77. BB insta-called again with ATs. We were off to the races. My girlfriend (who had returned home from the office and was upset that we couldn’t continue with the furniture-building now) was in the room and watched me started talking to my screen: “Come on, baby. Hold up one time. Let me win the race.” The flop was dealt… A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I felt queasy. I already started to console myself: “Well, Rob… you got close. There’s nothing you can—“ 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Holy [censored]! The 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] actually fell on the turn. It was unreal.

Long story not as long, I regained the chiplead and got heads up with the maniac. Here was the final hand.

Maniac had just won a race and I still had a slight chiplead, but it was anyone’s game. I am dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB with about 40BBs. Maniac min-raises his SB with about 32BBs (nothing unusual) and I call. Flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, and maniac bets 3BBs. I raise to 9BBs. Maniac instantly moves in for the rest of his stack (23BBs more to call). Calling and losing would only leave me with 8BBs and essentially would be conceding victory. I decided after probably too little thought that I was still ahead of a good amount of his range, and called. Needless to say, I was delighted when my T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was ahead of his 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. My hand held up, and I won the package!

OK… now someone else post in here so we can kick off the pre-WSOP celebrations.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:37 PM

u shoulda waited till after the WSOP to buy furniture cuz millionaires dont own ikea. but if u want u can give them to me when u upgrade
Old 05-24-2006, 01:42 PM

i won in the nightly super on party (the 215 or whatever it is) back in march. i dont' really remember much about it. i was top in chips basically the whole tournament, went into the FT 3rd or so in chips i think. top 3 got a seat, i managed to just steal my way to a seat basically. i didn't really get in any huge showdowns from what i remember...actually i think i had QQ vs JJ to bust the player in 4th...that was pretty hot...

see u in vegas
Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 PM

I will be there whether I win a seat or not.
~Justin