Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 11:27 PM

Default Re: 2/4 River Decision

I actually like the raise fold to a 3-Bet line, although I never have the guts to do it. I always call the 3-Bet and spew the extra BB.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:47 PM

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that villain may be playing a WA/WB line here, in which case he's probably folding to your river raise anyway. That may tilt this in favor of a call, since raising likely loses 2BB when behind, but gains nothing extra when ahead.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that villain may be playing a WA/WB line here

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss my post above?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:21 AM
 is offline

I doubt Villain has 89 very often here and if this is how he plays a 7, then you'll get your money back shortly anyway. I think he hit a better 2-pair on the river (JTs) and thinks he is value betting against a KJ or AJ. I easily raise this river and am prepared to call a reraise (this is, after all, 2/4).
Old 01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of this "raise/fold to a 3-bet" line that I keep seeing given as advice on this forum. Villain could easily have JT, and if he's feeling frisky he could 3-bet you....you fold and then freak out when he shows you JT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally... someone else said it. Look, if you're going to FOLD to a 3-bet, then don't throw in the damn raise in the first place.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 AM

This is great advice, thanks all.

C-Dog: I get what you're saying, obviously showing down overpairs is good. I was mostly kidding since it's not uncommon to have to lay them down, also.

bob, Gman: I think this is spot on. It seems cautious, but I think just calling is best here. I could probably find a raise with a better read, or against a trickier opponent.

For those of you who are raise/calling here all the time: How often do you think we're ahead when villain 3-bets? This seems like a bad situation to be in, but it's 4BB's, so it's going to have a big impact on the bottom line, either way... ALSO, how much do you think this changes with limits, i.e., Kramer, you said you'd raise/call because it's 2/4, but maybe that should be more of an adjustment than a standard play. Does that make sense?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 AM

raise and fold to a 3bet
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just call it. If he's bluffing he won't call your raise. If he has a monster he'll 3 bet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is the correct answer!