PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Questions

cbloom
04-18-2007, 04:48 PM
What do you guys think of the "Manta Ray" - the plastic thing that you put on your back to squat, it sort of spreads the weight out.

Similarly - what about putting a towel or something over your shoulders?

How about lifting gloves? Any disadvantage to them? My hands get chewed up, mainly by the deadlifts.

Finally, would it be bad to DL with a belt on? Generally I like to avoid the belt but I'm a little scared about pulling big weight.

anklebreaker
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM
My gym has it, and I use the "manta ray" often, and I really like it (phsyiologically and psychologically.)

I hate foam pads and the like; I never use 'em.

Some ppl have a problem with gloves/grips because "OH NOES YOU'RE SACRIFICING GRIP STRENGTH!@!," but I use grips when I'm deadlifting cuz my callouses get even more inflammed otherwise.

As for belts, avoid 'em, but use them when you're nearing/beating PRs.

zer0
04-18-2007, 05:03 PM
if i'm thinking of the right thing (and there's a good chance i'm not), i hate the manta ray, it puts the weight too high up on the shoulders. gloves? eh, personal preference. if you like em/need em, they're not gonna hurt anything.

StaticShock
04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Man up and squat with the exposed bar.

Unless your a hand model you don't need gloves.

No you don't need a belt to deadlift.

skunkworks
04-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I used to use the foam pad liberally when I squatted because I thought it was unbearable otherwise. I realized after many months that this was because I had the bar too high up and I wasn't getting my elbows back or pinching my shoulder blades together to provide that thick landing pad of muscle.

As far as the deads go, I don't deadlift enough (only 235 /images/graemlins/frown.gif) to have much of an opinion, but I try to keep the bar more in my fingers than in my palms, if that makes any sense.

AZK
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
This reminds me, not to get off topic, but where is the bar supposed to be racked on a back squat...I was reading the SS book and the entire time I think I've been holding it wrong...it sits on my traps more or less, it looked like it was lower in the book pics...where do you guys rack it?

StaticShock
04-18-2007, 05:26 PM
It's going to be different for everyone based on build. Rack it somewhere comfortable and secure on your shoulders.

Edit: I mean relatively comfortable. There's no way to make 300lbs on your shoulders/back feel good.

skunkworks
04-18-2007, 05:28 PM
As long as it's not up on your neck, you should be okay. I do make a conscious effort to keep it away from the tops of my traps though, per Rippetoe.

Thremp
04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
There is a range of probably 4-6 where you can hold the bar depending on the squat you are doing. Watch an O-lifter with high bar position and a narrow stance v a PL with a wide stance and low bar position.

SmileyEH
04-18-2007, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a range of probably 4-6 where you can hold the bar depending on the squat you are doing. Watch an O-lifter with high bar position and a narrow stance v a PL with a wide stance and low bar position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres been an ongoing debate over at crossfit about which is better. Rippetoe things that even competetive o-lifters should have the bar in the pl-ing position, but still retain an o-liftish feet placement so ass2ankles depth is still posible. Either way, I just put the bar a little down my delts so it is comfortable. I needed a pad before my upper back had enough muscle on it to adequatly protect my spine.