PDA

View Full Version : Bench- Incline vs. Flat vs. Decline

JSim1020
04-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I've ready conflicting articles stating which is better for the development of your chest. Basically, flat is the "meat and potatoes" staple in any chest workout. But then I read that incline is much more difficult and thereby is better in developing the pecs.

What do you think is best?

FWIW- I use DB mostly.

Colt McCoy
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
If you have to ask it doesn't matter.

jordiepop
04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
these exercises target different areas of the chest. flat is the prime exercise for targeting the whole chest, but decline and incline hit the top and bottum of the chest harder. its good to do them all.

Colt McCoy
04-18-2007, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these exercises target different areas of the chest. flat is the prime exercise for targeting the whole chest, but decline and incline hit the top and bottum of the chest harder. its good to do them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just ridiculous. The whole "hit the muscle from every angle to work the different parts" thing is just a bunch of popular muscle magazine garbage. Just pick one and stop reading Muscle & Fitness.

mattnxtc
04-18-2007, 04:22 PM
From everything Ive seen, decline is the most worthless of the 3. I personally just alternate incline and flat bench

JSim1020
04-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I mean I'm asking YOUR opinion. I personally prefer incline DB as a med student was explaining to me that the load the shoulders take from the chest is the higher on a decline/flat than the incline.

anklebreaker
04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Decline bench pressing stimulates the maximum number of pectoralis major muscle fibers (according to electromyographical testing.) Also, I find decline more fun.
So between the two I'd choose decline.

That said, I also like doing incline+dips to switch it up.

Colt,
While what you say is mostly true, "hitting from all angles" is arguably of use when it comes to glycogen depletion.
Also, research in the area of selective muscle fiber stimulus is in a state of flux. Here's an interesting article by Thibaudeau (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1327855).

jah7_fsu1
04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Use all three. Use the decline if your shoulders are to strong compared to your chest. No need to not use one exercise or the other really.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is just ridiculous. The whole "hit the muscle from every angle to work the different parts" thing is just a bunch of popular muscle magazine garbage. Just pick one and stop reading Muscle & Fitness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not ridiculous. Just conflicting information and studies abound. The chest has sternal and clavicular portions which share similar functions, yet also have some differing functions. It is POSSIBLE to vary the importance of each portion during an exercise (scientfic studies show this). It is not possible to "isolate" a portion however. Does that make any sense? Not enough studies have truly been done on the subject, and this is definitely sweating t the details way to much unless your geeked out on the science like me.

OP: Don't sweat the details so much, use all three.

Colt McCoy
04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not enough studies have truly been done on the subject, and this is definitely sweating t the details way to much unless your geeked out on the science like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than enough studies have been done. That's the problem. Every time someone does another study, everyone takes a step backward. The problem is that the studies always provide just enough information for people to go off on some crazy new regimen that just screws them up. There is absolutely zero reason for anyone strength training, with the possible exception of Mr. Olympia contestants, to do all three. Furthermore, guys that try to do all three usually feel like they need to do 5 sets of each, which is way too much. Like i said before, just pick one. Hell, if you're trying to work just your chest for some stupid reason, weighted dips are much better anyway.

jah7_fsu1
04-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I didn't mean do all three in one session. I just meant why limit yourself to just one of the exercise. Not enough studies have been done to truly answer the question on portions of muscle emphasis, but the bottom line is what would it really accomplish? Knowing it is possible to stimulate hypertrophy in specific regions of the muscle probably just isn't that beneficial.

I dislike weighted dips though (Safety issues).

Colt McCoy
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean do all three in one session. I just meant why limit yourself to just one of the exercise. Not enough studies have been done to truly answer the question on portions of muscle emphasis, but the bottom line is what would it really accomplish? Knowing it is possible to stimulate hypertrophy in specific regions of the muscle probably just isn't that beneficial.

I dislike weighted dips though (Safety issues).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough on the bench press thing. What's unsafe about weighted dips?

jah7_fsu1
04-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Colt: Well, I was getting ready to edit that and say unless you know what your doing. Probably for someone who seems to have a good background like you nothing.

My main problem with dips is people do them improperly and as such it is tough to prescribe them to beginners. Improperly done bench dips or regular dips are horrible on your shoulders.

If someone knows how to do them properly nothing at all.

Thremp
04-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Colt,

You are correct on almost all counts. Weighted dips can target triceps or chest more depending on body position. All three have value, but I'd likely never use all three in a workout. Even two would be very rare. I also do the least amount of decline pressing.

JSim,

Use them all at different points in your career.

jah7_fsu1
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
No one has love for decline? Decline close grip bench is probably my number one triceps builder.

Fels krone
04-18-2007, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Colt: Well, I was getting ready to edit that and say unless you know what your doing. Probably for someone who seems to have a good background like you nothing.

My main problem with dips is people do them improperly and as such it is tough to prescribe them to beginners. Improperly done bench dips or regular dips are horrible on your shoulders.

If someone knows how to do them properly nothing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you tell some of the common injuries that occur from doing dips? Im just curious what mistakes people do that cause them.

I would think its good to have your forearms in line with your hands. Scrunching your shoulders during the dip also seems bad.

traz
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one has love for decline? Decline close grip bench is probably my number one triceps builder.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all and well, but I was pretty sure we were talking about chest? :P

I only do declines every now and then to switch up my routine

jah7_fsu1
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you tell some of the common injuries that occur from doing dips? Im just curious what mistakes people do that cause them.

I would think its good to have your forearms in line with your hands. Scrunching your shoulders during the dip also seems bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite generally, bench dips are especially the worst. The severe forward movement you see in the shoulders is a dislocated shoulder/rotator cuff issue waiting to happen.

Regular dips people don't control the eccentric (downward) portion of the motion for the most part and then "stop" low and explode up. It's a start-stop motion that is extremely taxing on the shoulder girdle. Some people also go way to low.

I suppose ANY exercise can hurt you if done improperly, it just seems as if dips are done with poor form more often than a lot of other lifts.

Proper execution and you should be fine.

SmileyEH
04-18-2007, 08:43 PM
I've never seen someone go too low. Most lean forward and flex their elbows a few degrees.

Thremp
04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen someone go too low. Most lean forward and flex their elbows a few degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my friends does this with huge weight for triceps... I go down real far usually. I might make the conversion to partial reps one day.

cbloom
04-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Colt is on point in this thread.

Colt McCoy
04-19-2007, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people don't need to be working their triceps individually. They get plenty of work with your pressing movements.