PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Kilimanjaro

Im_Your_ATM
04-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I will be backpacking Europe starting June 2nd - 15th then I go to Tanzania where we begin the Kilimanjaro climb on the 22nd. I've been going to the gym and concentrating on core exercises while neglecting things like bicep curls. During these sessions I've been upping reps versus the normal 10 reps x 3 sets. I've been dropping quite a bit of weight and I'm confident I can drop another 10 lbs. by the climb. I'm not currently on a running/walking schedule but I'm going to start one come May/mid-May plus run in Europe (is that possible I've never been there). Does this seem like a solid plan? Any specific recommendations regarding particular exercises or types of gear to bring/wear?

Thremp
04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Take practice hikes. You will need to be a fairly advanced hiker to hike that mountain, though it is not a technical climb at all. When I prepped for hiking I did a ton of BW squatting, I did this due to not having a gym to go to at the point in time I was going hiking. Surprisingly it seemed to work much better than expected, YMMV. Regardless, good luck.

latefordinner
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Agree with thremp. You need to get out and do long walks with a bunch of weight on your back. Preferably with the pack and the shoes you will be using.

BigRedDog33
04-16-2007, 01:56 AM
I did the climb 6 years ago. As far as training, hiking is the thing to do. To bring: Any extra gear you can spare for the guides and the camp guys, I saw guys climbing to 13000 feet with nothing but nikes on. Go on moutnain madness and they will have a list of things to bring.

NJchick
04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Helpful tips can be found here (http://www.alpineascents.com/kilimanjaro.asp) .