PDA

View Full Version : Cycling V's Jogging

zasterguava
04-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Is jogging more beneficial than cycling at lets say 30mins jogging V's 2 hours cycling on pretty flat terrain?. Im in a dilemma whether or not to take my friend up on jogging (though I dont like jogging) or cycling on my own (which I do like). Seems like an easy decision but am I right in assuming that jogging will benefit me far more for 30 mins as opposed to 2 hours cycling? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jetboy2
04-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Both are good cardio workouts.

You said that you don't like jogging though. So, why do it? You won't continue with it if you don't like it.

You can get more out of a cycling workout if you incorporate things like "hill repeats" and intervals.

jedi
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
If you have knee problems, cycling is by far the better activity.

zasterguava
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
What are hill repeats and intervals/? Thnks

cbloom
04-13-2007, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
am I right in assuming that jogging will benefit me far more for 30 mins as opposed to 2 hours cycling? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No you are not right. Whatever you do more intensely will have more benefit.

kerowo
04-14-2007, 10:29 AM
You would have to be coasting down hill for 2 hours to burn less calories than you would in only 30 minutes of jogging.

The thing to remember about cycling is that it isn't weight bearing, which is good for your knees, but for me doesn't help with stuff like stair climbing, but I'm probably in much worse shape than you.

tdarko
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can get more out of a cycling workout if you incorporate things like "hill repeats" and intervals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first cycling and jogging are targeting two different muscle groups. As far as cardio is concerned cbloom put it best when he said whichever activity you do more intensely will have more benefit. With this said, you are saying that you can get more out of cycling if you incorporate hill repeats and intervals, this is true depending firstly on what you were wanting to get out of your workout and secondly assuming you aren't doing hill repeats, mile repeats, or intervals with your run workout.

cbloom
04-14-2007, 12:40 PM
The problem some people have with outdoor cycling is that it's very easy to just coast and take it easy, you have to force yourself to go hard. A computer with your speed or something is helpful.

kerowo
04-14-2007, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem some people have with outdoor cycling is that it's very easy to just coast and take it easy, you have to force yourself to go hard. A computer with your speed or something is helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless or until you know your body well enough to judge the level of effort you are expending doing cardio I would recomend a heart rate monitor. It's been my experience that riding outside is "harder" than riding on my fluid trainer.