PDA

View Full Version : Hydroxycut, Xenadrine or ????

checkmate36
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
What supplement for fat loss thats sold over the counter have you had the best results with?

Ben86
04-12-2007, 10:49 PM
diet & exercise.

Nookx
04-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Ill sell u some hoodia star for 10 dollars.

soon2b
04-13-2007, 11:15 AM
ive used hydroxycut. it works as far as losing weight, but not so much fat. Once you stop taking it, if you do not stay on a healthy diet and active, youll gain the weight back very very quickly. The pills just get rid of water weight.

I would 2nd the diet and exercise as the healthiest ways to lose bodyfat

thirddan
04-13-2007, 12:02 PM
i tried xenadrine a couple years ago and when i missed a pill i would get headaches...don't seem to have any physical reaction to hotrox, but remember its just an aid not a solution...

mattnxtc
04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I just started taking Ho-Rox Extreme and have noticed some immediate differences physically/energy wise. Obviously its only day 2 and im not up to the full dose, but I think others can vouch for it as well

zer0
04-13-2007, 03:53 PM
do 15-30 minutes of cardio in the morning before breakfast when your blood sugar levels are lowest. theres no magic pill that is going to lose your gut, a 2 month supply is gonna cut a negligible difference. dedicate yourself to a healthy diet first, as mentioned. its the only way you won't waste your money.

Ben86
04-13-2007, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do 15-30 minutes of cardio in the morning before breakfast when your blood sugar levels are lowest. theres no magic pill that is going to lose your gut, a 2 month supply is gonna cut a negligible difference. dedicate yourself to a healthy diet first, as mentioned. its the only way you won't waste your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt agree more. I've done this at 30-60 varying times and shredded myself. I am young though, so it was easier for me (20). Really though, this is the way.

anklebreaker
04-13-2007, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do 15-30 minutes of cardio in the morning before breakfast when your blood sugar levels are lowest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that mean that ATP levels will be low, and you will be in an extremely catabolic state and that muscle tissue will be broken down for energy? (Rhetorical question.)

checkmate36
04-13-2007, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This works well!

I was just wondering if anything new has hit the shelves thats worth buying. You know how those mad scientists are trying to make a buck getting us our magic pill.

checkmate36
04-13-2007, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do 15-30 minutes of cardio in the morning before breakfast when your blood sugar levels are lowest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that mean that ATP levels will be low, and you will be in an extremely catabolic state and that muscle tissue will be broken down for energy? (Rhetorical question.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I understood it was that your glycogin stores will be low and your body will tap into its fat stores for energy. There has been much discussion as to how much more fat you will burn first thing in the am as opposed to later in the day.

The main thing everyone agrees on is that you need to just do the cardio.

kyleb
04-14-2007, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is basically it.

Supplements are just that - there to supplement a good diet and exercise, not to replace them.

jah7_fsu1
04-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Don't worry about being catabolic in the morning if your goal is fat-loss!

Before breakfast is a great time for non-strenous cardio if fat loss is the goal. When you wake-up insulin concentrations are very low. Insulin has protective effects on fat-tissue.

If you have a nice carb breakfast, with protein you can enhance your muscle glycogen balance. Do this after your inital walk-jog workout if your trying to get lean! DON'T run hard though!

For those that care, here is the study about that having a positive effect on muscle glycogen balance. Had it in a printout from a long time ago.

"Schneiter, P., et al. Effect of physical exercise on glycogen turnover and net substrate utilization according to the nutritional state. Am J Physiol. 1995 Dec;269(6 Pt 1):E1031-6."

Thremp
04-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Here is a what I think jah7 is referencing http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=927737

jah7_fsu1
04-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Yep, that was an article I read a while back with some great information in it. Even if I tend to disagree with some of the things in that article, that is not one of them.

The idea of fasted early morning cardio is not new by any means however, it just got lost in the shuffle when everyone thought cardio=muscle destroying there for a bit!

VegasNick
04-14-2007, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
diet & exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]lmao

checkmate36
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Lots of interesting stuff here.

Is this part of 2p2 coming to an end in 2 weeks???

kyleb
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of interesting stuff here.

Is this part of 2p2 coming to an end in 2 weeks???

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure. There isn't much discussion in the mod forum about it, though it's been mentioned a few times. The next few playgrounds will likely be golf and something that I refuse to mention because it's too nerdy for even me.

skunkworks
04-14-2007, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The next few playgrounds will likely be golf and something that I refuse to mention because it's too nerdy for even me.

[/ QUOTE ]
holla @ the 2+2 World of Warcraft forum!

thirddan
04-14-2007, 07:16 PM
haha, i first thought it would be a magic card game forum, lots of poker players into that game...

kyleb
04-14-2007, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
holla @ the 2+2 World of Warcraft forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

haha, i first thought it would be a magic card game forum, lots of poker players into that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

More nerdy and much more nerdy*, respectively.

* I used to play Magic often and still draft at the office occasionally with the firm's partners.

skunkworks
04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
The only things that could be worse than WoW and M:TG are pen-and-paper RPGs, LARPing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw), and mouth-breathing Renaissance Faire nerds.

Especially LARPing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw).

checkmate36
04-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Tell them to put that [censored] on hold for a few months while we discuss the gym! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thremp
04-14-2007, 10:50 PM
LARP is by far the best.

checkmate36
04-14-2007, 11:18 PM
LOL I just watched that link.

That can't be real. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

kyleb
04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
skunkworks,

It's worse. I promise.

skunkworks
04-15-2007, 01:31 AM
holy [censored] where do i sign up for this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpeLlbe2OoI)

DLKeeper1
04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
all of these pills are completely unregulated by groups like the FDA and therefore dangerous

checkmate36
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all of these pills are completely unregulated by groups like the FDA and therefore dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Please feel free to include facts in your statements whenever possible.

DLKeeper1
04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
it's a fact that the FDA does not regulate diet pills, shakes etc. and therefore they should be avoided in my opinion because who knows the effects these products can have. If anyone recallls, an MLB pitcher (on the Baltimore Orioles I think?) died a few years ago because of the diet pill he was taking contained ephedra and therefore induced a heart attack.

DLKeeper1
04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/17/eveningnews/main540848.shtml

here's an article about the death of Kyle Bechler of the Baltimore Orioles

mattnxtc
04-15-2007, 04:58 PM
DLKeeper1

do you by any chance know how many of todays products still contain ephedra in them?

Your statement seem to be incredible ignorant of what is actually going on with these companies nowadays?

DLKeeper1
04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
No I know that they have gotten rid of ephedra but I'm just saying that the fact that ephedra was in products for years without anything happening makes you wonder if something like that will happen again. I'm not saying that there is some certain ingredient in these products that is harmful, but I am saying that these products are dangerous because they are not regulated (as shown by the fact that Hydroxycut used to contain ephedra). I'm just trying to warn people that there are healthier options out there like regular diet and exercise.

Thremp
04-15-2007, 07:34 PM
DLK,

Are you aware of how many people die from OTC, and how these pills were used by the people you mention before?

mattnxtc
04-15-2007, 07:52 PM
DLKeeper your logic doesnt hold though. Many many FDA approved drugs still cause massive problems. Ephedra wasnt the problem and I may be mistaken, but ephedra is still available with prescription.

What is almost always the problem is that people abuse or misuse the product. People popping to many ephedra pills hoping for a quicker weight loss and so forth.

Why wouldnt products like hydroxycut use ephedra? Had the FDA banned it? It was a legal product that could be used that actually did what it was supposed to do.

checkmate36
04-15-2007, 08:44 PM
I heard a story about a buy who took 42 bottles of bufferin. He died. The FDA should not allow asperin to be sold since someone took too many.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DLKeeper1
04-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm not going to argue with you guys because you seem to be pretty set on your opinions but I just hope you're wary of what you put into your body

Thremp
04-15-2007, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to argue with you guys because you seem to be pretty set on your opinions but I just hope you're wary of what you put into your body

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it isn't dangerous. But most labels are very cautious recommending to start with very low doses and gauge side effects before upping dosage. It seems some people try to use them as a substitute for other things instead of for assistance and this creates problems.

The point I was making above is lots of people goto the hospital for OTC medication and that in and of itself is not what'll make something dangerous. Also IIRC ephedra is legal again or is it ephedrine... I'm uncertain.

jah7_fsu1
04-15-2007, 09:46 PM
DL: One of the things I do before buying any supplement is research each individual component. Now I'm a huge exercise science guy who likes that stuff (Pubmed, etc.) but I like knowing what I'm putting into my body and why it's included in the product.

I realize few people do this, more should.

Advertising is just so easy to belive!

Some good supps and (more importantly) supplement companies are out there though.

mattnxtc
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
DL its not that anybody is open for discussion. The problem is there really cant be much discussion if you arent informed enough to discuss.

You came on to the forum and made the statement that all these pills/powders are all dangerous and so forth becuase they are unregulated by the FDA and that simply is a false statement.

If you have relevant studies to point to then please link to them. If you have pills you would like to discuss then please start a discussion on them. But what is a waste of time is to make a general statement and then get mad when people give an opposite point of view.

TheEngineer
04-16-2007, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? Sounds like Leach talking about the unregulated offshore poker rooms!